Sorry im new, posted this in the wrong place! About Exercising — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sorry im new, posted this in the wrong place! About Exercising

Options
SouthernBelle
SouthernBelle Community member Posts: 14 Connected
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
I had an accident in November 2019 and had to learn to walk again, I can still only walk for a few minutes and am waiting for 2 surgeries. I have piled on weight and am so unfit, im mostly housebound, i have been swimming on and off for a few weeks and was about to join a gym but all that has stopped now as i am in tier 4. I would love some advice on you tube work outs or anything else. My leg is very very painful, i can only do low impact exercises for my legs, my core is very weak and i suffer from back pain, i also need some upper body training maybe something to get my heart rate up. I have been looking at seated exercises but most seem either for much older people or too hard for my leg. I do plan to loose weight too, i started smoking after my accident after a year off them and have stopped for about 10 weeks now, so am ready to address my diet.  I am 52 before my accident i was pretty chubby but walked my dogs 3-4 times a week (in fact thats how the accident happened) i want particularly into fitness but had been into open water swimming for a while a few years ago, not sure if i could get my wetsuit over my bad leg and its a bit too cold now for me.       

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome it doesn't matter where you post just gets more direct exposure to people who may help in the right section 

I will tag in one of our members who posted lots diff exercise threads you may find useful 

@chiarieds you may be able to help here 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I posted these exercises a few months back, which you may find helpful. :) They were developed by Canadian therapists, & show modifications dependent on ability in many exercises.

Tai Chi 25 mins

Seated Yoga 13 mins

Chair yoga (mainly sitting + some standing) 25 mins
  • SouthernBelle
    Options
    Thanks i will definitely check these out 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    You are most welcome @SouthernBelle . Thanks for the tag @janer1967 - I was just looking for these videos, & we must have both posted at the same time. :)
  • chiarieds
    Options
    There's also this Intermediate chair yoga video from the same therapists:
    35mins.

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    O.P. Not quite sure why you think an exercise must be labelled for a certain group regardless of the physical conditions?   You wouldn't say "These exercises seem to be aimed at red haired people, therefore it must be unsuitable for blondes"   Why do you dismiss something you have seen in case old people do it?
    To those posting helpful links, thank you very much.  Exercise and impaired mobility is desperately neglected.   I get furious at the complacent bits of advice to the public to "go for a brisk daily walk" and the mindless assumption among budget holders and policymakers that the word Exercise is the same as the word Sport.

P.S. I think it would do everyone a favour if nobody ever again mentions exercise in connection with weight loss, because not-very-clever people such as our prime minister then get it into their heads they can eat and drink as much high calorie junk foods as they like, and put everything right by riding a bike and playing a sport.
     Exercise is of course good for mental, emotional and physical well being, but it is rubbish as a means of weight loss,  (As seen by the circumference of the P,M pre-covid19)
  • SouthernBelle
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I dont want to exercise to loose weight if that is how it came across it was unintentional. I need to get strong for my surgery, im not really walking now and i hope to be after both surgeries and it is going to be so much harder for me if my body is not strong.
    I do think i have piled on weight through being inactive in part, but also through boredom of suddenly being housebound and not out working, finding it hard to prepare food when im alone, being in pain and unhappy etc and i want to address the weight, again because i know it will help my recovery after surgery, i dont and i never said i expect exercise to be the answer to my weight issues just hopefully to help a bit.      
    I also dont understand why most of what i found online exercise wise, didnt fit my needs ie harder for the upper body and low impact for my legs . Most of what i saw overtly said it was aimed at the elderly and was very gentle. I dont care who the exercise is aimed at just the pushes me but doesn't cause me pain in my legs. I came here to see if i could find something that might fit me better and hopefully the links will help.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.