Hi, my name is vinnymac! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is vinnymac!

Options
vinnymac
vinnymac Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My carer got letter saying her carers stopping as I get pip and are mentally ill .I am still in recent of pip I can see Dean went through this with the same letter can some one tell me what was the out come as this as made me suicidal 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Have you recenlty had a review for your PIP claim and been refused? This could be one reason that the carers allowance is stopping. Although we can only guess what the reason is and your carer will need to contact carers allowance to ask them why it's stopping.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • vinnymac
    vinnymac Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Dean had this letter in may I was just wondering what is out come was
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, i seen you asked the question on his thread. Although, his carers allowance may have stopped for a completely different reason. Please ask your carer to ring carers allowance to ask them because they are the only ones that can tell them what's happening, we can only guess here. The number to ring is 0800 731 0297

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @vinnymac :) I'm glad you've reached out to us today.

I'm afraid that I'm not sure what @deanj84's outcome was, as they don't seem to have updated us. Is it Carers Allowance that your carer has been receiving? According to Carers UK:
    Getting PIP does not reduce other benefits, it may even increase them. If you have a carer, claiming PIP may help them to qualify for certain benefits (such as Carers Allowance).
    They also have some more information on Carers Allowance, which states that:
    Carer’s Allowance is not based on your income and capital (or any partner's). However, there is a cap on how much you can earn from work and still be entitled to Carer’s Allowance.
    Not every carer can get this benefit. You may be eligible for Carer's Allowance if you meet all the following conditions:
    • you look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit
    • you look after that person for at least 35 hours a week (during Covid19, providing emotional support counts toward this)
    • you are aged 16 or over
    • you are not in full-time education
    • you don’t earn over £128 a week (after deductions) 
    • you satisfy UK presence and residence conditions
    Does it explain why she will stop receiving her Carers Allowance in the letter? As poppy123456 said, could it be that your PIP entitlement has changed? I'd echo the advice to give them a ring so you can get to the bottom of what's happening.

I'm sorry to read that you're feeling suicidal. We'll be sending you an email from community@scope.org.uk shortly so that we can try and help. In the meantime, please call 999 or visit your local A&E department if you feel unable to keep yourself safe. I've also linked some resources below, which you might find helpful:

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.