support bubble explanation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

support bubble explanation

clarzier Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
Hi all
Weve been put in Tier 4 and wondered if I explained our scenario could anyone tell me whether we are able to form a support bubble as the government website is as clear as mud.
I am disabled and my husband is a keyworker. My parents (we live 10 doors apart) are my carers and provide support for me and my children aged under 13. I havent had a shielding letter but have long term conditions. Are we classed as a support bubble or a childcare bubble?

Thanks ❤


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome my understanding is that if you live alone or just with a child you can have a support bubble 

    Also you can form a bubble for childcare so I would imagine you will be fine if it us only your parents that you mix with and no other households 

    Hope others can clarify this for you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,857 Disability Gamechanger

    My thoughts on this are that if you need your parents for childcare reasons then your children can go to them for this reason. Otherwise you or your parents would need to be the only adult in the house, unless you need constant care yourself.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,465 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @clarzier :) The rules are a little confusing at times, I agree. Are you wondering this because you'd like to form another support bubble, outside of the bubble you have with your parents? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Join our call for an equal future.
  • clarzier
    clarzier Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    No I just want to make sure I'm doing the support bubble correctly and didn't want to get into trouble. The part in the guidelines about "you are the only adult in your household who does not need continuous care as a result of a disability" can, i think, be read in 2 different ways x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,465 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay, I just wanted to clarify @clarzier. The wording of that is confusing. I'm honestly not 100% sure at all, but my gut says it'd be a childcare bubble.

    I'd suggest that maybe it'd be a good idea to ring 101, the non-emergency police number. They have the same amount of information as we all do, i.e. the website, but they can help you to interpret the rules. They're also really friendly- I contacted my local police service when I was worried about the rules of travelling back to Leeds after the Christmas period and the police officer did her best to help.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Join our call for an equal future.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.