Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

support bubble explanation

clarzierclarzier Member Posts: 48 Courageous
edited December 2020 in Disabled people
Hi all
Weve been put in Tier 4 and wondered if I explained our scenario could anyone tell me whether we are able to form a support bubble as the government website is as clear as mud.
I am disabled and my husband is a keyworker. My parents (we live 10 doors apart) are my carers and provide support for me and my children aged under 13. I havent had a shielding letter but have long term conditions. Are we classed as a support bubble or a childcare bubble?

Thanks ❤


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 10,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome my understanding is that if you live alone or just with a child you can have a support bubble 

    Also you can form a bubble for childcare so I would imagine you will be fine if it us only your parents that you mix with and no other households 

    Hope others can clarify this for you 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    My thoughts on this are that if you need your parents for childcare reasons then your children can go to them for this reason. Otherwise you or your parents would need to be the only adult in the house, unless you need constant care yourself.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,565

    Scope community team

    Hi @clarzier :) The rules are a little confusing at times, I agree. Are you wondering this because you'd like to form another support bubble, outside of the bubble you have with your parents? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • clarzierclarzier Member Posts: 48 Courageous
    No I just want to make sure I'm doing the support bubble correctly and didn't want to get into trouble. The part in the guidelines about "you are the only adult in your household who does not need continuous care as a result of a disability" can, i think, be read in 2 different ways x
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,565

    Scope community team

    Okay, I just wanted to clarify @clarzier. The wording of that is confusing. I'm honestly not 100% sure at all, but my gut says it'd be a childcare bubble.

    I'd suggest that maybe it'd be a good idea to ring 101, the non-emergency police number. They have the same amount of information as we all do, i.e. the gov.uk website, but they can help you to interpret the rules. They're also really friendly- I contacted my local police service when I was worried about the rules of travelling back to Leeds after the Christmas period and the police officer did her best to help.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.