Eligibility for specific needs social housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Eligibility for specific needs social housing

SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
Hi all,

I have posted on here on a number of occasions with regards to the fact that I have been subjected to targeted harassment owing to my disabilities, been assaulted, had my property defaced and damaged, amongst many other incidents all whilst living in social housing  and yet my local authority have been less than forthcoming with any assistance or support.

Also during my tome in the property I have been witness to domestic violence/assaults/drug taking and dealing, again amongst many other occurrences including much more severe incidents such as an aggravated robbery, a rape and a stabbing, all of which have had tremendous effect on my mental health, has exacerbated my PTSD and left me entirely housebound.

After another really quite serious incident over Christmas, my local authority has offered to relocate me. However, they have stated that it will be in a similar property, which seems entirely nonsensical as I will merely be moving many of the issues to a new property.

I have obtained a letter from my GP in which she advises of the requirements I need in a new home and my family have written statements as to what effect my being housed in my current property has had on me and that moving me to a similar property will likely mean a continuation of what occurs in my present property. However my local authority has advised that as a single male I am only entitled to a certain property.

Can anyone advise as to where I stand with this matter or what action I can take to be given a more suitable property.

Thanks in advance.


  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SMW83 and thanks for your post.

    I've sent you an email, if could give it a read and get back to me.

    In the mean-time, I hope our members are able to offer advise around your property situation  :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 830 Pioneering
    This is a real problem for you.   One way to get yourself the home you want, where you want, is to look on the private rental market, which will probably mean you have to reduce your standard of living when paying the true value of rent,  because usually, H.B. needs some degree of top up contribution from the tenant.   

     Another way is to live more cheaply and pleasantly by going into a private flat share with people you get on well with.   Your council with thousands of homeless people on the list has chosen to offer you a move, but not to the type of home you would select?  You assume,(and you  know your own area, so you are probably right)
    , that the sort of neighbours you have on one council estate will be exactly as hostile and criminal on the other council estate.  You are not realistically likely to get the council to give you some high quality home in a nicer area, away from fellow council tenants and with more rooms than a single person can ask for.   

    (Also, given the unmet housing need, with entire homeless families crammed into dangerous and sub standard one room hostels,  sometimes for years on end, it could be suggested that your terrible troubles with mental health and victimisation and persecution by undesirables would not appear to the council to take first priority.   Many of those in hostels have endured the same thing, and have the extra problem that, for instance, they and their children are not safe in their room, not safe going in and out of the building, and not safe to go to the shared bathroom facilities. )

    The third option could actually be pleasant, but again it would need you to do some research and be flexible and adaptable.   There are people who need two things you might have to offer them.   A little extra income, and a little extra company.  Nice, decent people sometimes have spare rooms they are willing to let to lodgers.   After what you have gone through, you might feel far better  with a landlady/landlord, than living entirely alone.  The key to your own flat left you all alone when those horrible people did those things.   Sometimes, a flat of your own is not all that much of a prize.   I'm taking it for granted that you yourself are not like them, antisocial and nasty and impossible to live with.  It does seem likely you are right, you need to get away from that sort of neighbours.   Maybe radical solutions are called for.   (Mind you, some people are truly experimental, and live in cars or vans or sheds or all sorts.  Presumably, that way, they keep the local Housing Allowance as extra income?  I don't know how that works, do you?).  


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.