Hi, my name is kelcee1! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kelcee1!

kelcee1
kelcee1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi , i wonder if anybody could help me. I'm a little confused with a decision U.C. has recently made. I've just been awarded lcwra to be paid on top of my universal credit. I have been in receipt of L.C.W. since sometime last year i was claiming sever disability with E.S.A prior to switching to U.C. I filled a questionaire last june 2020 for a lcwra and have just been told i've been awarded . I've been led to believe that backpay will start from when the questionaire was recieved by U.C . I understand that the payments don't start untill 3 months after eligiablity so if i sent questionaire back june 2020 would that entitle me to backpay as UC are saying i'm not entitled to it . thanks 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Your 3 month waiting period starts from when you sent in your first fit note 

If you give details of date you sent this in and dates of your assessment period we will be able to give you more info 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I note that you were previously in the LCW group. This means that unfortunately, @janer1967 isn't quite correct here. The LCWRA element will start from the assessment period in which the decision was made and there will be no backdated money owed.

I also note that you were claiming ESA with the SDP before you claimed UC. May i ask if you've been receiving the SDP transitional protection in with your UC payments? If you were and the amount you were receiving was £285 (single person) then this will now reduce to £120 because you're now claiming the LCWRA element in with your monthly payments.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kelcee1
    kelcee1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi sorry I didn't explain properly, I've been receiving UC well over 2 years now I was previously getting ESA sdp  but when I claimed UC over 2 years ago rules were very different I didn't automatically get lwc I didn't get that until later in my UC claim I came off ESA some time ago therefore I have no transition period IV been getting lcw for over a year and UC for over 2 years but I've just qualified for 300 & something pounds a month lcwra very recently but with no back pay even though I sent back my questionnaire June last year 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    The advice remains the same because you already had LCW, the LCWRA element won't be backdated. It starts from the assessment period in which the decision was made so there's no backdated money to receive.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kelcee1 and welcome to the community, hope you're well.

I hope the above advice has been helpful for you? The benefits system certainly can be confusing:) 

I hope to see you sticking around the community, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. If you're looking to get more involved, the virtual coffee lounge is always a good place to start.

I have moved your discussion to our Universal Credit category.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.