Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers backpay

caloucalou Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, me and my partner currently claim UC, I have been awarded PIP and my partner put a claim in for carers allowance and has been backpaid carers allowance. I know carers effects universal credit but will this backpay be took off/effect our universal credit next payment?

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

If you were claiming UC when the carers allowance was backdated to then you'll now have an overpayment for UC, which will be repaid back from future UC payments, not as 1 lump sum.

Your partner also needs to make sure they report the changes on their journal that they are caring for you and then the cares element of UC will then be added to your entitlement.

Just so that you know, when claiming UC there's no need to claim carers allowance to be entitled the carers element of UC.
    Hope this helps.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • caloucalou Member Posts: 4 Listener
    HI,

If you were claiming UC when the carers allowance was backdated to then you'll now have an overpayment for UC, which will be repaid back from future UC payments, not as 1 lump sum.

Your partner also needs to make sure they report the changes on their journal that they are caring for you and then the cares element of UC will then be added to your entitlement.

Just so that you know, when claiming UC there's no need to claim carers allowance to be entitled the carers element of UC.
    Hope this helps.
    That's brilliant, thank you. We have already told uc I have been awarded pip and updated them that he is now caring for me
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

I'm glad Poppy was able to help with your query @calou. Be sure to check that the carer element is added to your future payments of UC as they do sometime miss this. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.