Carers backpay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers backpay

calou
calou Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, me and my partner currently claim UC, I have been awarded PIP and my partner put a claim in for carers allowance and has been backpaid carers allowance. I know carers effects universal credit but will this backpay be took off/effect our universal credit next payment?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

If you were claiming UC when the carers allowance was backdated to then you'll now have an overpayment for UC, which will be repaid back from future UC payments, not as 1 lump sum.

Your partner also needs to make sure they report the changes on their journal that they are caring for you and then the cares element of UC will then be added to your entitlement.

Just so that you know, when claiming UC there's no need to claim carers allowance to be entitled the carers element of UC.
    Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calou
    calou Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    HI,

If you were claiming UC when the carers allowance was backdated to then you'll now have an overpayment for UC, which will be repaid back from future UC payments, not as 1 lump sum.

Your partner also needs to make sure they report the changes on their journal that they are caring for you and then the cares element of UC will then be added to your entitlement.

Just so that you know, when claiming UC there's no need to claim carers allowance to be entitled the carers element of UC.
    Hope this helps.
    That's brilliant, thank you. We have already told uc I have been awarded pip and updated them that he is now caring for me
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad Poppy was able to help with your query @calou. Be sure to check that the carer element is added to your future payments of UC as they do sometime miss this. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.