Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I have recently claimed UC and get the carer element

Alison4498Alison4498 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 16 in Universal Credit
I have recently claimed UC and get the carer element. What I was wondering was if the carers element was reduced in the same way as the single persons allowance if I worked part time, ie by 63p in every £1,or do I retain the carers element? Thanks

Replies

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,229

Scope community team

Hello @Alison4498 and welcome to the community, glad you've joined us :) 

Just wanted to let you know that I have moved your discussion to our Universal Credit category.

I hope to see you around on the community, feel free to have a look around and get involved with any discussions that take your fancy. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise on your question.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • Alison4498Alison4498 Member Posts: 5 Listener
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

If you don't have the work allowance then your earnings will reduce the whole of your UC by 63% and this will include the carers element.

You will only have the work allowance if you have dependant children on your claim or you've been assessed as having limited capability for work.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you for clarifying. 
    The people on the helpline don't seem too sure 🤦‍♀️

You're welcome. If you mean the UC helpline then i'm not surprised because they are not trained to give advice such as this and they just read from a screen. They definitely aren't the best place to go for any benefit advice.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Slowly figuring that out. Haven't claimed anything before, all a bit of a minefield.
    Yes, benefits are never easy to understand. UC being the worst one of all. The more earnings you receive during your assessment period, the less UC you will receive.
Sign in or join us to comment.