I have recently claimed UC and get the carer element — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have recently claimed UC and get the carer element

Alison4498
Alison4498 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have recently claimed UC and get the carer element. What I was wondering was if the carers element was reduced in the same way as the single persons allowance if I worked part time, ie by 63p in every £1,or do I retain the carers element? Thanks

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Alison4498 and welcome to the community, glad you've joined us :) 

Just wanted to let you know that I have moved your discussion to our Universal Credit category.

I hope to see you around on the community, feel free to have a look around and get involved with any discussions that take your fancy. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise on your question.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Alison4498
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

If you don't have the work allowance then your earnings will reduce the whole of your UC by 63% and this will include the carers element.

You will only have the work allowance if you have dependant children on your claim or you've been assessed as having limited capability for work.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alison4498
    Thank you for clarifying. 
    The people on the helpline don't seem too sure ?‍♀️

• poppy123456
    You're welcome. If you mean the UC helpline then i'm not surprised because they are not trained to give advice such as this and they just read from a screen. They definitely aren't the best place to go for any benefit advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Alison4498
    Slowly figuring that out. Haven't claimed anything before, all a bit of a minefield.
  • poppy123456
    Yes, benefits are never easy to understand. UC being the worst one of all. The more earnings you receive during your assessment period, the less UC you will receive.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.