Decrease in savings — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Decrease in savings

Options
Darla
Darla Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, this is my first post and just have a quick query.... I used to have savings over £6,000 and now they have gone down so are under this amount. Im hoping to be able to prove this if my bank can send me statements. They were below £6,000 from January '20 - February '20 and then I got a backpayment from the council and they were above £6,000 again from February '20 - September '20. They have been under £6,000 since September '20 to date.... Will I get any back payment if I can somehow prove this? If so, how far can they back date it? 

Many thanks indeed 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

You should ring to report the changes. Yes, they should backdate your benefits to the date your saving went below £6,000. Just so that you know, if you're claiming the old legacy benefits such as Income related ESA/JSA or Income Support then there's a £1 deduction per week for every £250 (or part there of) over £6,000.

If you're claiming Universal Credit there's  £4.35 per month deduction for every £250 (or part there of) over £6,000.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Darla

Welcome to the community, how are you? 

I hope the above information has been helpful for you, let us know if there's anything else you need help with. I hope to see you sticking around.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Darla
    Darla Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you very much for your help  ? ? ? ? ? 

I phoned ESA (I'm on income related in the support group) and,  as I expected they want me to send paper bank statements because they can't accept emails.  Luckily my bank are happy to send me pages and pages of statements as it has been a very gradual decrease. Its hardbin lockdown,  but I think my local job centre us open in the mornings and hope to pop in and see if they will send them over internally,   as I've sent paper statements in the post in the past and they were lost ? ? ? ? 

Wish me luck and thank you very much once again ? ? ? ? ? ? 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Darla

Please let us know how you get on with, and after, sending your statements in.  Good luck :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.