PIP Assessment today...so anxious I can’t sleep — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment today...so anxious I can’t sleep

can84
can84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all,

Im new here. Never posted on anything like this before, but I am going out of my mind worrying about the PIP assessment I’m having this afternoon.

I guess I am worried that they won’t understand the struggles I face daily. I cover it all up as much as possible to most people, I struggle to talk about or express my feelings and emotions to those closest to me how the hell am I going to be able to talk to a stranger and make them understand? 

Comments

• anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
    Hi, I totally get you! Best of luck for tomorrow! I know it’s easier said than done, but do try to get some sleep! X
  • can84
    can84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you, I’m just going out of my mind thinking the assessor won’t!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Did you fill out the form with as much relevant information as possible? The assessment would then be for you to verify what you wrote as well as any other additional information they need. If you kept a copy of the form you filled in, have a read of that before the assessment.

All you can do is answer those questions as best as you can. You can have someone with you and put the phone onto loud speaker.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Most people get anxious about an assessment but try not to and just stick to the facts about how your condition affects your daily life 

Good luck and let us know how you get on 

There are lots of posts in our PIP section from others which have gone through the same 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    @can84 I had my assessment yesterday and like you I was exactly the same. I was still wide awake at 4am inventing all sorts of scenarios in my head about how things would happen.

In my experience yesterday it wasn't anywhere near as bad as what I'd imagined. The lady asked clear questions, was totally none judgemental and was happy to re-ask questions I'd misheard 

I know how awful it is when your head starts to run away with you but just take some deep breaths and relax and know that this assessment will not be as bad as you imagine it will be x
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    People get so anxious because there’s money involved, Wouldn’t it be a doddle if the money didn’t matter to you! 

Another aspect is knowing very well what you wrote in the original form you sent back. As with any exam if you know the subject matter there’s no need to be nervous. As ever, easier said than done but quite possible.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It is always advised to keep a copy of anything you send off for future reference 

I keep a DWP folder with copies of anything I send and they send me 
  • Alfie2020
    Alfie2020 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi I've got copies from all my assessments, it helps if you need to back track on anything, Good Luck 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @can84 I don't know if it's too late to say this but good luck :)  I completely understand your nerves and I've been there with the sleepless nights, it's no fun at all.  I hope it wasn't as bad as you feared and please keep us updated with how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How did you get on yesterday @can84? I hope you were able to unwind and de-stress a little after your assessment. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.