What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, im egshed! Should I be on ESA or PIP?

egshedegshed Member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been placed on universal credit but my gp has given me a fit for work note due to my kyphoscoliosis and scoliosis as well as nad urge incontinence. Should I be on ESA or try for pip. Lovely to find this forum as I was parents representative for the north west in early 90s when my daughter attended their Tudor House nursery. Thanks for any help or suggestions. 


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    You need to declare a medical condition through your journal and send your fit note to your work coach 

    Once you have been signed off for over 28 days your work coach should refer you for work capability assessment 

    You will then get uc50 forms to complete and then in most cases have a phone assessment 

    This process can take several months they will then make decision and declare you either fit for work or LCW or LCWRA inly the latter gives additional money 

    As for new style esa it depends on your earnings in last few years as yo if you can claim 

    For pip you need to have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last another 9 months at least 

    Pip is all about how your condition affects your daily living and mobility against the descriptors things like dressing,  bathing , preparing food,  taking meds communication and finance 

    Have a look at the descriptors you can find them on here in pip section or on internet and see if you think you would be entitled 

    Hope this helps please ask any other questions you have 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,334

    Scope community team

    Hi @egshed I love your name :)  It's lovely to have you on our online community, welcome!

    I hope @janer1967 's detailed response has helped clarify your questions.  But, please fire away if you are wondering about anything else.

    In the meantime, I've moved your post to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' thread and have tweaked the title to help anyone else in the same circumstances.

    Please keep us updated with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.