Hi, im egshed! Should I be on ESA or PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im egshed! Should I be on ESA or PIP?

Options
egshed
egshed Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been placed on universal credit but my gp has given me a fit for work note due to my kyphoscoliosis and scoliosis as well as nad urge incontinence. Should I be on ESA or try for pip. Lovely to find this forum as I was parents representative for the north west in early 90s when my daughter attended their Tudor House nursery. Thanks for any help or suggestions. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

You need to declare a medical condition through your journal and send your fit note to your work coach 

Once you have been signed off for over 28 days your work coach should refer you for work capability assessment 

You will then get uc50 forms to complete and then in most cases have a phone assessment 

This process can take several months they will then make decision and declare you either fit for work or LCW or LCWRA inly the latter gives additional money 

As for new style esa it depends on your earnings in last few years as yo if you can claim 

For pip you need to have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last another 9 months at least 

Pip is all about how your condition affects your daily living and mobility against the descriptors things like dressing,  bathing , preparing food,  taking meds communication and finance 

Have a look at the descriptors you can find them on here in pip section or on internet and see if you think you would be entitled 

Hope this helps please ask any other questions you have 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @egshed I love your name :)  It's lovely to have you on our online community, welcome!

I hope @janer1967 's detailed response has helped clarify your questions.  But, please fire away if you are wondering about anything else.

In the meantime, I've moved your post to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' thread and have tweaked the title to help anyone else in the same circumstances.

Please keep us updated with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.