Extra help when condition is worse — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Extra help when condition is worse

Bridgetty Member Posts: 8 Listener
What can I do to get my friend extra help now, whilst her condition is worse than usual?

What she wants is more hours so she can pay 2 regular carers. Also that if one is sick she so least has some hours with someone who knows her needs. 

Currently she has additional new serious symptoms, meaning she is less able to do the day to day things that are already a struggle. 

Also her regular carer is sick and so my friend had no paid care and her children are caring for her around their school and work schedules. I’m not sure why at this moment the agency have not sent another carer. I will find out. Perhaps it is due to COVID and her shielding. 

Separately we are going through a Pip review which we hope will restore her back to higher level PIP for both elements. She was incorrectly put on standards last time and was too stressed and ill to appeal it. We are told it will take months for the next step after she had her pip review assessment recently. 

But for the next month she needs more hours as she is sick. Even if her carer is back tomorrow she only comes 3 days a week and my friend needs daily help especially at the moment. 

Where should I start?
 What are the right questions to ask to find out exactly what her position is and how to get her more hours?

 Thank you


  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Member Posts: 5,787 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bridgetty I think  you should get in touch with adult social services in your area and ask if your friend can  have an assessment  to see what her needs are 

    Explain that her condition has deteriorated  and that the children are now helping to care for her and that your friend needs extra now

    This advise is from experience of being a  paid carer myself and getting care for my mum 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,374 Disability Gamechanger
    I would suggest as above 

    You can self refer for a care needs assessment but that will take a long time to get in place as I'm not too sure they are currently coming out to di them 

  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Member Posts: 5,787 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bridgetty I gathered information today as @janer1967 said there are no assesmts due to corona virus  the suggestions put to me where these you can ask for extra cares to help your friend  some sicial services I have been told will put extra hours in place due to civid 19 stopping assessments  bei g done  she did say not all social services will do this due to staffing problems due to covid19

    The second suggestion was if your friend has enough  money to pay for carers to come in to cover the extra hours she needs until assessments  are being done they will put carers in because  its a private arrangement 

    The social worker I spoke to was as helpful as she could be 

    Hope it helps in some way 
  • Bridgetty
    Bridgetty Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you Lisa and Janer. Things progressed quickly and she has was admitted to hospital as an inpatient.
    Does this means she will have an assessment before she goes home as long as she doesn’t discharge herself early?
    Thank you
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,374 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

    Sorry your friend has been admitted but it is probably the best place to get her care she needs 

    It all depends on the hospital and if they think she needs care to be in place for her to be discharged home 

    It may be worth mentioning to her team at the hospital she cant cope at home 

    Hope she is better soon
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Member Posts: 5,787 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bridgetty as @janer1967 has said ask for an assessment so that they can put things in place at home you need to explain everything and I hope that that they would put support in that your friend needs 

    I am sorry to hear that your friend is in hospital and hope she gets better soon

    I hope that your ok aswel you sound like a very good supportive friend try not to worry and don't forget to look after yourself aswell 

    Take care 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.