Universal want a telephone interview to get me back to work but i claim PIP - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal want a telephone interview to get me back to work but i claim PIP

Options
2»

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    9.39 pm does seem rather unreasonable.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Unless they have put PM by mistake. I’d clarify. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That time does seem strange for UC and a work coach to be working that late but you never know however I would check 

Sorry it didn't go ahead as planned it could have been down to absence 
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    cannot believe UC have changed my appointment five times in the past few days. They way UC treat people is shocking. They did not phone me the other day because they said the computer system was down. Then they sent me an apointment for 9pm for today, then they sent me another message saying that was an error and it would be 9am today. I contacted them to say i cannot do 9am as it affects my health due to the pain i feel when i wake up and the medication i have to take, so they changed it for me. then they changed it again, and now this morning they have changed it yet again to a time when i am in a lot of pain and now i will have to delay my pain medication by an hour.
  • jae377
    jae377 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
     "am autistic with severe mental health problems and mobility issues. I  am having a phone consultation about PIP next week. I am dreading it. Any tips on how to handle this???"
    YES you are entitled to have another person act as a "buffer" between you and the questioner. I have acted in this capacity several times for a neighbour, basically they use the phone and relay in a non aggressive non threatening manner questions to you. They may also gently prompt you to "stay on track " with answers or answer more fully as under pressure you may forget Germaine information. The same applies at a face to face interview.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As we all know things aren't as they should be, the DWP is affected like many others by staff shortages or staff off sick, and many staff working from home, therefor I'm not totally surprised that the appt. has been changed a number of times, as annoying as that may be.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    they were very nice. They explained all the changes to the apointments is down to most staff working from home, and others are ill.
  • Quinty
    Quinty Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options
    How terrible. What if your phone is cut off or you were on the loo? Or rushed to hospital?  Its bullying. Im sure you can complain about this attitude. The Govt Benefits system needs to change to become understanding and emphatic. Its very wrong. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Quinty said:
    How terrible. What if your phone is cut off or you were on the loo? Or rushed to hospital?  Its bullying. Im sure you can complain about this attitude. The Govt Benefits system needs to change to become understanding and emphatic. Its very wrong. 
    I have to say that in 23 years claiming benefits that I have always been treated with respect and good attitude, I have never felt as though I have been bullied in any way, we must understand that most of the DWP staff we come into contact are over worked, badly paid, and poorly trained and at this moment in time they are extremely busy and trying to do their very best.
    The system is very unlikely to change.

Now I understand that my experience isn't one that everybody has had, but I would politely ask that people cut them some slack and understand that the people from the DWP most of us deal with don't make the rules.

• calcotti
    Options
    And some DWP staff will also be benefits claimants themselves.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Options
    It's highly likely that most of the DWP staff that we deal with at "user"level will be receiving some form of benefits, even if it's only family allowance.

• calcotti
    Options
    woodbine said:
    It's highly likely that most of the DWP staff that we deal with at "user"level will be receiving some form of benefits, even if it's only family allowance.
    Child Benefit (as it is now known) is administered by HMRC and is a fairly easy benefit to claim and administer. I was thinking rather that some DWP staff will actually now be on UC which is administered by DWP and, as we know, involves interaction between claimant and administrator.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Forgive me i'm old and in my day it was family allowance, but whatever it's name it is a benefit, but as you say it's likely that DWP staff may well be claiming UC 

• calcotti
    edited March 2021
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Forgive me i'm old and in my day it was family allowance, but whatever it's name it is a benefit, but as you say it's likely that DWP staff may well be claiming UC 
    No criticism was intended (just clarification for younger readers!).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.