Do I open a bank account in my name to have my daughter's benefits paid into, as I'm her appointee? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Do I open a bank account in my name to have my daughter's benefits paid into, as I'm her appointee?

cobbles Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi   Do i open a bank account just in my name to have my daughters benefits paid into as i am her appointee


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,245 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    I'm not too sure it depends if you want her to be able to access the account 

    Some people have the account in just appointee name and then transfer money as and when  required into the claimants account so the appointee can control what goes in and out 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,572

    Scope community team

    Hi @cobbles as her appointee the money would usually be paid to you to then manage, yes. If you already have a bank account it can go into this, but some people do prefer a separate one just to make it easier to manage.
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • MobileGames
    MobileGames Member Posts: 100 Courageous
    I had my mum as power of attorney on my account from 16-32 years of age. The money went into mine and she drew out what was needed. Or you could set up standing orders to go out of her account into yours for electric,water,telephone,etc, if that's easier. I did that with mine. It stops any faffing about by you needing to go down and draw money out. 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    You absolutely need a separate bank account into which you put nothing but monies intended for her. If you don’t do this then further down the line there are inevitable problems separating out what you legally own; what you beneficially own and so on. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.