I want a new phone this year, what should I get though? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I want a new phone this year, what should I get though?

Options
2»

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,464 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Other (preferably Android but will take other OS's)
    I'm probably the worst person to offer advice. I got fed up with the overpriced phones and contracts so opted for a cheaper smart phone not tied to a company and get my sim card from giffgaff. The phone is paid for and the month after I was sent to work from home because of covid I went from the £10 per month offer to £6 per month.

I got the Cubot Max, and it does everything I need and has been reliable. 

I guess a lot depends on what you actually use your smart phone for, and what you can afford or are willing to pay for.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ibelive2020
    Ibelive2020 Community member Posts: 799 Pioneering
    Options
    @Geoark im on pay as u go as contracts overpriced so i bought a phone out right for £150 top it up by £20 month it txs rings etc its smartphone áll my friends have iphones at stupid prices i would nőt pay 
  • Andy58
    Andy58 Community member Posts: 41 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ibelive2020 you could have unlimited calls and texts for £6 a month on a sim only monthly contract with virgin, and 4gb data
  • Ibelive2020
    Options
    @Andy58 virgin and EE signal is **** where i live so i 500 mind 15gb data and unlimited txs in my bundle i dönt really use my mins anyway lol 
  • Ibelive2020
    Options
    500 mins daft phone lol 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    Andy58 said:
    @Ibelive2020 you could have unlimited calls and texts for £6 a month on a sim only monthly contract with virgin, and 4gb data
    Virgin have Foreign call centres though, that's why I gave 30 days notice as soon as I could, I just can't talk to non UK call centres who don't understand my accent.

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Options
    Hehe I'm originally from the midlands and when I first moved up to South Yorkshire boy did I struggle with the accent up here :smile:

Also it took me three weeks to work out what the hell a 'breadcake' was :smiley:
  • Ibelive2020
    Options
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    @BrettW and you think the Midlands accent and language is easier lol ha ha ha ? 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Options
    well it is for me seeing as I came from there lol
  • 8cent8
    8cent8 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    When buying Smartphones it's mainly all about how much you want to spend.
    SIM'S: for £8 per month you can get 
    • Unlimited talk time
    • Unlimited texts
    • 8GB data (unused data rolls over to the next month.
    Network - ID - [removed by moderator - advertising link]

This is a good guide as to what is available to buy on a non-contract basis:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    8cent8 said:
    When buying Smartphones it's mainly all about how much you want to spend.
    SIM'S: for £8 per month you can get 
    • Unlimited talk time
    • Unlimited texts
    • 8GB data (unused data rolls over to the next month.
    Network - ID - [removed by moderator - advertising link]

This is a good guide as to what is available to buy on a non-contract basis:

I'm still tied into a SIM contract with Three till October, at which point I'll either stay with them and get a phone upgrade or give 30 days notice in September and go on either GiffGaff or Plusnet Mobile.

• 8cent8
    8cent8 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S20

Mobile phones are coming down on price as non-contract sales are getting very popular.

There are a few new names in the race such as 'Realme' who aren't sold by the big phone shops yet.

People seem to be buying more SIM deals as SIM-only is getting to be very 'cut-throat'.

Personally, I like to keep a handset for 2 years then sell it, there are so many great deals out there for buying 'opened box' or' manufacturer refurbished' hand-sets.

Giff-Gaff do some great deals on this basis

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.