Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I want a new phone this year, what should I get though?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
edited February 2 in Coffee lounge
Topic.

I'm after a new phone post lockdown when we can visit my Brother in London to get it set up and stuff, but I'm torn what to get? Vote in the poll and help me decide please guys!

I want a new phone this year, what should I get though? 7 votes

Samsung Galaxy S20
57%
janer1967[Deleted User]lisathomas508cent8 4 votes
Google Pixel 5
0%
Motorola Moto G9
0%
Apple Iphone 12
14%
MarkN88 1 vote
Other (preferably Android but will take other OS's)
28%
GeoarkBrettW 2 votes
Tagged:

Replies

• BrettWBrettW Member Posts: 607 Pioneering
    The Samsung Galaxy S21 is about to release I believe @MrAllen1976
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,281 Pioneering
    Apple Iphone 12
    I voted IPhone 12 but that’s only because I’m an Apple fan and have always used an iPhone pretty much. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,480 Disability Gamechanger
    can't help sorry I have a very bog standard phone and even then only use it for calls and text, think i'm getting too long in the tooth for an all singing all dancing one :)
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
    Apple Iphone 12
    woodbine said:
    can't help sorry I have a very bog standard phone and even then only use it for calls and text, think i'm getting too long in the tooth for an all singing all dancing one :)
    That’s exactly what my nana said Woodbine and now she’s addicted to her smartphone. I thought technology would scare her. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,198 Disability Gamechanger
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    These are all latest models and will be quite expensive 

You could save some money either if on contract or buying if you go for an older model 

I understand people want the latest but I always decide based on what I want the phone to do and if your not going to use all the features why pay for them 

Just my opinion 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,480 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 it doesn't scare me tbh I just can't be bothered, we were talking the other day and when we got married 40 years ago we didn't even have a house phone but there was a public box round the corner.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,686 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 27
    Me too, I have a bog standard £10 phone which I take out in case of emergencies. I also do pay as you go and I reckon I spend £10 every two years or so on it. They certainly won’t get rich with me as a customer. 
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 839 Pioneering
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S20FE. If you're into photography the cameras are amazing. 
    I use the Samsung Note 10+. I love the pen on it because its great to scribble notes on the calendar and stuff when they pop into my head.

Might have a look at the Note 21 when it comes out
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,080 Disability Gamechanger
    I will predictably vote for Apple but do you need the iPhone 12? I have an iPhone SE which was just over half the price of the 12 and I can’t think of any reason I’d need the 12 over it - the SE does everything I want.
    Apple Iphone 12
    66Mustang said:
    I will predictably vote for Apple but do you need the iPhone 12? I have an iPhone SE which was just over half the price of the 12 and I can’t think of any reason I’d need the 12 over it - the SE does everything I want.
    That’s a good point. I love Apple and use an iPhone but I never have the latest model as it’s very expensive. 
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    I am due for renewal  on my contract phone at the moment I have an s10 plus  so don't know what to go for next I like the phone that folds up 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    I just looked up the S21 and it's going for around £500 on eBay unlocked, I don't have that kind of loot to spend on a phone, especially when most of the sellers don't have perfect feedback so I'm reluctant to trust them.

• Andy58Andy58 Member Posts: 39 Courageous
    On one of the bargain spotting sites I go on Xaomi Redmi phones are very popular
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    Andy58 said:
    On one of the bargain spotting sites I go on Xaomi Redmi phones are very popular
    Trouble with that though is that if they're very popular, they'll be in very high demand, so scalpers will be selling them for daft prices on eBay, like the PS5 and Xbox Series X at the moment.

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Refurbed iPhone SE.
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    Do Iphones still rely on Itunes to download stuff? That would be an issue, I can't use Itunes on Chrome OS, only a Mac or Windows.

• 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,080 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 29
    They do still use iTunes however you no longer need to pair the device with a computer - they work as standalone devices. You get an iTunes app on the phone.
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    66Mustang said:
    They do still use iTunes however you no longer need to pair the device with a computer - they work as standalone devices. You get an iTunes app on the phone.
    Hmm, might be worth investigating then.

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,607 Disability Gamechanger
    They don’t need iTunes for anything bar restoring a device occasionally. You can backup to iCloud; download apps from the App Store on the phone etc. iTunes is as near as dammit dead.
    edited January 30
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    leeCal said:
    Me too, I have a bog standard £10 phone which I take out in case of emergencies. I also do pay as you go and I reckon I spend £10 every two years or so on it. They certainly won’t get rich with me as a customer. 
    That's not me, 20 years ago I was on PAYG on my first ever mobile, and I was going through £20 a month in credit so eventually in 2003 I decided blow it why not go on a £20 a month contract for a new phone and all the minutes etc included? Now 18 years later I've been with most of the big names including Orange and T-Mobile before they merged to form EE.

My current SIM Only contract with Three runs out in October, and then I'm half considering going on either GiffGaff or Plusnet Mobile for about £6 a month.

• Ibelive2020Ibelive2020 Member Posts: 803 Pioneering
    @MrAllen1976 i got myself a new phone bout 8 weeks ágó i now have a samsung galaxy A21s 
  • GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm probably the worst person to offer advice. I got fed up with the overpriced phones and contracts so opted for a cheaper smart phone not tied to a company and get my sim card from giffgaff. The phone is paid for and the month after I was sent to work from home because of covid I went from the £10 per month offer to £6 per month.

I got the Cubot Max, and it does everything I need and has been reliable. 

I guess a lot depends on what you actually use your smart phone for, and what you can afford or are willing to pay for.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

@Geoark im on pay as u go as contracts overpriced so i bought a phone out right for £150 top it up by £20 month it txs rings etc its smartphone áll my friends have iphones at stupid prices i would nőt pay 
  • Andy58Andy58 Member Posts: 39 Courageous
    @Ibelive2020 you could have unlimited calls and texts for £6 a month on a sim only monthly contract with virgin, and 4gb data
    @Andy58 virgin and EE signal is **** where i live so i 500 mind 15gb data and unlimited txs in my bundle i dönt really use my mins anyway lol 
    500 mins daft phone lol 
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    Andy58 said:
    @Ibelive2020 you could have unlimited calls and texts for £6 a month on a sim only monthly contract with virgin, and 4gb data
    Virgin have Foreign call centres though, that's why I gave 30 days notice as soon as I could, I just can't talk to non UK call centres who don't understand my accent.

Hehe I'm originally from the midlands and when I first moved up to South Yorkshire boy did I struggle with the accent up here :smile:

Also it took me three weeks to work out what the hell a 'breadcake' was :smiley:
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    @BrettW and you think the Midlands accent and language is easier lol ha ha ha 😂 
    well it is for me seeing as I came from there lol
  • 8cent88cent8 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited February 1
    Samsung Galaxy S20
    When buying Smartphones it's mainly all about how much you want to spend.
    SIM'S: for £8 per month you can get 
    • Unlimited talk time
    • Unlimited texts
    • 8GB data (unused data rolls over to the next month.
    Network - ID - [removed by moderator - advertising link]

This is a good guide as to what is available to buy on a non-contract basis:

Samsung Galaxy S20
    8cent8 said:
    When buying Smartphones it's mainly all about how much you want to spend.
    SIM'S: for £8 per month you can get 
    • Unlimited talk time
    • Unlimited texts
    • 8GB data (unused data rolls over to the next month.
    Network - ID - [removed by moderator - advertising link]

This is a good guide as to what is available to buy on a non-contract basis:

I'm still tied into a SIM contract with Three till October, at which point I'll either stay with them and get a phone upgrade or give 30 days notice in September and go on either GiffGaff or Plusnet Mobile.

• 8cent88cent8 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Samsung Galaxy S20

Mobile phones are coming down on price as non-contract sales are getting very popular.

There are a few new names in the race such as 'Realme' who aren't sold by the big phone shops yet.

People seem to be buying more SIM deals as SIM-only is getting to be very 'cut-throat'.

Personally, I like to keep a handset for 2 years then sell it, there are so many great deals out there for buying 'opened box' or' manufacturer refurbished' hand-sets.

Giff-Gaff do some great deals on this basis

Sign in or join us to comment.