I get NS ESA SG, and my wife used to care for me. Can my daughter claim CA now she's caring for me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I get NS ESA SG, and my wife used to care for me. Can my daughter claim CA now she's caring for me?

Options
littleacorn
littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
I receive contribution based ESA support group and my wife has been my carer although she works full time. She is now exhausted due to being a front line NHS worker and is finding it difficult to do both jobs. Can my daughter who is self employed but unable to do her job due to current restrictions claim carers allowance for caring for me instead of my wife.

Comments

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    Forgot to add I also get higher rate PIP for both componants
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Provided she is learning less than £128/week yes she can. I infer that your wife was not claiming CA as she would have been earning too much. She will need to provide evidence of her self employed earnings. Normally past earnings would be used to determine her weekly earnings. I don’t know how DWP will be assessing earnings at the moment. If she has had any SEISS payments these will count as earnings.

Depending on her circumstances she may be able to claim UC instead. This would include a carer element. She can get this element in UC without applying for CA. As a carer she would have no UC work search requirements. She can use a benefit calculator to assess entitlement https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

if if she has a partner any UC claim would be as a couple. If she currently gets Tax Credits or other means tested benefits these will end if she applies for UC (even if there is no UC entitlement). She cannot claim UC if she has capital over £16,000.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, my ex partners sister was claiming ca for my ex, just before corona, she waz working, but as long as she cared for 35 hours she was entitled to the ca. I know its means tested for benefits, but I'm pretty sure my ex sister in law claimed the full amount of ca. I think it was about £130 pw. This was before corona and my son now claims it for my ex,his mam. He claims pip for ptsd so it doesn't affect his benefit. Hope that helps. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Audinut70 said:
    ...she waz working, but as long as she cared for 35 hours she was entitled to the ca. I know its means tested for benefits, but I'm pretty sure my ex sister in law claimed the full amount of ca. I think it was about £130 pw. 
    Someone who cares for 35 hours/week is not necessarily entitled. If they earn more than £128/week they are not entitled.
    Other then this earnings limit CA is not means tested.
    Carer’s Allowance is £67.25/week.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry, i was wrong, thanks for correction Calcotti. Glad i didn't state it as fact. I'll be more careful in future. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.