'Unplayable: Disability and the Gaming Revolution' — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

'Unplayable: Disability and the Gaming Revolution'

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger

There's a fantastic new BBC Radio 4 documentary on the accessibility of games that came out this morning. I'd strongly suggest you all check it out to understand more about the accessibility of gaming, and what progress is being made. 

There has long been a sizeable gap between the popularity of video games and their accessibility. Disabled gamers can find themselves thwarted by changes to controller settings, frozen out of storylines because particular motor skills are being tested, or stymied by sudden obstacles that require acute hearing or eyesight from someone who has hearing or sight loss. But after decades of advocacy work by disabled gamers, that gap is beginning to close.

In this documentary, blind gamer Steve Saylor hears some of the stories behind how gaming became more accessible. The documentary includes contributions from Steve Spohn from Able Gamers on how a bag of rice proved instrumental in getting an innovative controller made and from Mike 'BrolyLegs' Begum, who uses his face to press the buttons and has become a top Street Fighter player.

Steve Saylor always thought that he sucked at gaming - it turned out that gaming sucked for him.

What do you think? Have you found video games inaccessible? Do you have any advice for disabled gamers? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    The only time I ever had a problem accessing gaming was that about 14 years ago I couldn't do "Wii Fit" on the Nintendo Wii, shame as that was pretty much the main reason I bought a Wii :( I also struggled with the Wii remote in general and the "Wand" controller.

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    Have to agree with MrAllen. Theres absolutely no way I would be able to play the games that come with something like the Nintendo Switch Ring Fit. 

These games all assume at least a general level of fitness and I have yet to encounter one that would allow someone with a reduction in fitness due to a health condition being able to participate in.

(edited for spelling error)
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Thank you for sharing this @Tori_Scope, will have to check it out. Thank you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.