Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Riddle me Ree

Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,002

Scope community team

International Puzzle Day 

Yesterday (29 January 2021) was International Puzzle Day; a day which celebrates the birth of Dr. Erno Rubik - the inventor of the Rubik’s Cube. 

Rubiks cube on a desk

From online jigsaws to the traditional newspaper crossword, there’s something out there for everyone. Puzzles are a great way to pass the time whilst keeping your brain active, and can be a good mindfulness activity for when you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed too.  

Personally, I’m a big fan of sudoku, and I do them both online and on paper. I find them a good way to relax in the evenings, and I’ll usually do them whilst listening to music or a podcast, or whilst watching television. 

Online resources 

Here are some free online puzzle sites to get you started: 
  • Sudoku: can you put the numbers 1-9 into ever box, row, and column? 
  • Killer sudoku: the same rules as sudoku, but with a mathematical twist 
  • Hex Puzzle: can you fill up the hexagon? 
  • Jigsaw: can you put the piece together to make a picture?  
  • Crossword: can you answer the clues to fill in the grid? 
  • Wordsearch: can you find the words in the grid? 

Accessible online resources 

Unfortunately, many online puzzle sites aren’t accessible for all disabled people. However, there are some options. I’ve listed a couple below, but I’d love to know if any of you know of any more! 
  • Downloading puzzle apps is another option and, handily, Disability Horizons have put together a list of fun and accessible apps. 
  • The American Printing House for the Blind have also put created some crosswords that are screenreader compatible. 
  • Paper or physical puzzles might be more accessible for some people, so they’re another option. You can often buy puzzle books with large print, and some jigsaws are available with chunkier pieces so that they’re easier to handle. 
  • I also recently saw a post about a Rubik’s Cube for people who are visually impaired which was adapted so that each colour was also a different texture, meaning that the puzzle could be completed by touch alone. I wasn’t able to find one on sale, but perhaps this is something we’ll see on the market soon? 

Riddle challenge 

Here’s a riddle I heard recently, can you work it out?  
Lose me once, I’ll come back stronger, lose me twice, I’ll leave forever. What am I? 

Over to you 

What’s your favourite kind of puzzle?
Do you prefer doing online puzzles, or traditional paper ones?
Do you know of any other good puzzle resources?
Do you find some puzzles inaccessible?  

Tell us in the comments below :)
Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Replies

Sign in or join us to comment.