Riddle me Ree — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Riddle me Ree

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger

International Puzzle Day 

Yesterday (29 January 2021) was International Puzzle Day; a day which celebrates the birth of Dr. Erno Rubik - the inventor of the Rubik’s Cube. 

Rubiks cube on a desk

From online jigsaws to the traditional newspaper crossword, there’s something out there for everyone. Puzzles are a great way to pass the time whilst keeping your brain active, and can be a good mindfulness activity for when you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed too.  

Personally, I’m a big fan of sudoku, and I do them both online and on paper. I find them a good way to relax in the evenings, and I’ll usually do them whilst listening to music or a podcast, or whilst watching television. 

Online resources 

Here are some free online puzzle sites to get you started: 
  • Sudoku: can you put the numbers 1-9 into ever box, row, and column? 
  • Killer sudoku: the same rules as sudoku, but with a mathematical twist 
  • Hex Puzzle: can you fill up the hexagon? 
  • Jigsaw: can you put the piece together to make a picture?  
  • Crossword: can you answer the clues to fill in the grid? 
  • Wordsearch: can you find the words in the grid? 

Accessible online resources 

Unfortunately, many online puzzle sites aren’t accessible for all disabled people. However, there are some options. I’ve listed a couple below, but I’d love to know if any of you know of any more! 
  • Downloading puzzle apps is another option and, handily, Disability Horizons have put together a list of fun and accessible apps. 
  • The American Printing House for the Blind have also put created some crosswords that are screenreader compatible. 
  • Paper or physical puzzles might be more accessible for some people, so they’re another option. You can often buy puzzle books with large print, and some jigsaws are available with chunkier pieces so that they’re easier to handle. 
  • I also recently saw a post about a Rubik’s Cube for people who are visually impaired which was adapted so that each colour was also a different texture, meaning that the puzzle could be completed by touch alone. I wasn’t able to find one on sale, but perhaps this is something we’ll see on the market soon? 

Riddle challenge 

Here’s a riddle I heard recently, can you work it out?  
Lose me once, I’ll come back stronger, lose me twice, I’ll leave forever. What am I? 

Over to you 

What’s your favourite kind of puzzle?
Do you prefer doing online puzzles, or traditional paper ones?
Do you know of any other good puzzle resources?
Do you find some puzzles inaccessible?  

Tell us in the comments below :)
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tori_Scope I like the online word searches i think they are fab 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I like crosswords. I used to do the Guardian crossword every day on their website. I really liked it as I wasn’t incredibly good and it had a “check” feature so you could check your answers. :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Lose me once, I’ll come back stronger, lose me twice, I’ll leave forever. What am I? 
    Is the answer a tooth? Ie milk tooth then adult tooth? 
    Im guessing no. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You beat me to it @leeCal - it has to be a tooth, surely.
  • leeCal
    The word ‘leave’ however indicates the thing had an option, if it said 
    Lose me once, I’ll come back stronger, lose me twice, I’ll be gone forever. What am I? 
    Then tooth would be correct, or at least one answer, but I’m not sure a tooth can ‘leave’ forever. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    I like crosswords and Sudoku. I used to cheat with my Rubiks Cube and dismantle it lol

What runs around the garden without moving?
  • leeCal
    A. Border? @BrettW

― Dalai Lama XIV

• BrettW
    correct or a fence :smile:
  • leeCal
    Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time, in the same month and year and yet they're not twins. How can this be ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    What has 4 letters, sometimes has 9 letters but never has 5 letters
  • BrettW
    They are triplets?

you are correct 'what' does have 4 letters, 'sometimes' has 9 and 'never' is 5 letters long :)

A box without hinges, key, or lid, Yet golden treasure inside is hid
  • leeCal
    Correct @BrettW ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I read a good one yesterday, not really a riddle but a puzzle...

Rearrange these letters into a body part. A clue: the body part is useful when erect.

EPNIS

Apparently this was asked to some doctor trainees. The ones who answered SPINE went on to be doctors. The ones who didn’t went on to make childish jokes :D
  • BrettW
    haha Have to be honest I saw the rude one before I saw spine :smile:
  • leeCal
    edited February 2021
    A box without hinges, key, or lid, Yet golden treasure inside is hid
    Unless it’s an ear of corn or nut I personally give up, what’s the answer @BrettW?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• BrettW
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
             @BrettW is it an egg? 
  • BrettW
    Yes vikingqueen - its a famous riddle that Bilbo uses in his riddle game with Gollum in The Hobbit :smile:
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
     Thought it was The Hobbit but doubted myself  :/
  • johnsmith187
    johnsmith187 Community member Posts: 69 Pioneering
    edited February 2021
    1, How far can you walk into a forest?

2, What can you put into a barrel to make a barrel lighter,that can be seen by the naked eye?

3, There is a room with a lightbulb inside and outside the room has 3 light switches, the door is closed and no light can be seen. You can flip any switches and walk into the room but only once, you must find out which switch turns on the light. How do you do it?

Brightness