PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Does anyone know what I can expect at a pip tribunal over the phone?

TEACUPTERRIERTEACUPTERRIER Member Posts: 44 Connected
I have a date in February for my pip tribunal hearing. I'm just trying to find out what to expect as I want to be as prepared as possible and I'm going to be having a lot of anxiety that day. Has anyone had a phone tribunal hearing? 

Replies

• bananagirl480bananagirl480 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    hi i had a pip tribunal on friday over the phone and it was ok i suffer with mental heath i found it to b alot easier than i thought the judge will interduce themselfs and let u no who else is there they will take it turns to ask u questions the best advice i can give is take your time and if you dont understand ask them to break it down for u. good luck
  • Lulu_1949Lulu_1949 Member Posts: 225 Pioneering
    @TEACUPTERRIER hi, yes my son had one and I heard it al as it was on loudspeaker.
    first of all a guy rang to say be ready for a phone call in the next few minutes explaining to wait for all three persons on the panel to introduce themselves. . 
    There was the judge, a doctor and a person who knows about disability.
    they were all really nice. They did not rush. Asked normal questions did not try and catch him out. He, my son was just completely honest. We went to tribunal because the assessor had lied on the paperwork about how the face to face went and my son did not get awarded anything. 
    Try to calm your anxiety , I know that is easy to say but just chat with them like you would a friend, you will be surprised.
    the answer came in the post two days later and he was awarded standard. Good luckx

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,002 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 31
    You need to ensure they have the correct number to ring you on and that your phone is fully charged. Also good to have a snack and drink nearby if it turns into a marathon. Generally though the clerk will contact you on the day of the hearing to check this and maybe a second time to bring you in on the conference call. Call times vary depending on the clerk. Some will ring a.m. for a p.m. hearing. Some will ring 30 to 45 minutes before and some won’t ring until it’s time to start. 

You’ll then be asked to state your name and will be admitted to the call and announced as having joined. After that you’ll be told you’re being recorded and then the judge will introduce the panel etc. Medical professional usually focuses on mobility. Disability qualified member focuses on daily living but the judge has total control over this so every hearing is different. DWP may be on the call but unlikely at present. 

There are no set questions and no trick questions. They will focus on your verbal evidence rather than the HCP report. 

You may get rung back with a decision on the day but most likely it’ll be in the post and with you fairly quickly subject to Royal Mail.

• TEACUPTERRIERTEACUPTERRIER Member Posts: 44 Connected
    Thanks everyone I feel a little better about it. I already have all my notes ready and I'm glad it will be over the phone so at least i won't be judged on my looks-(once had a doctor say I looked too healthy because of my rosy cheeks. I have rosacea!) anyway thanks for the advice. The snack and drink is a good idea so hopefully things will go OK 👍
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,066 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 31
     Hi @TEACUPTERRIER - a lot of our members have had a phone tribunal. It's difficult to advise what questions will be asked, as it all depends on how your disability affects you., which is an individual response. It will primarily be about any activities of daily living, &/mobility that you have identified as problematic in relation to the PIP activities/descriptors. Try & give a couple of detailed real life examples of the difficulties you faced at the time of your assessment if you hadn't already done so in your claim form. It's worthwhile reading what you have already written, to see where you should have got points & why.
    Don't waste time going over the assessor's report unless there are one or 2 provable 'inaccuracies.' The strength of your own anecdotal evidence matters much more. Do ask them to repeat any questions if needed, or say if you don't understand anything. Do take a little time before replying. You can have somebody else there for support, & could put your phone onto speakerphone.
    You will usually be contacted before the hearing, & do be aware such hearings can be a bit earlier, or later, depending on how the panel are getting through the day's hearings, so be prepared just in case.
  • TEACUPTERRIERTEACUPTERRIER Member Posts: 44 Connected
    Thanks everyone. At least now I have an idea of what to focus on. This was all really helpful advice
    Have the appeal papers in front of you and check at the outset that your papers end on the same page as the tribunal. Good judges will check this as there are massive issues with missing papers at present but many forget. Easily done when working from home and distracted. If you don’t all have the same papers there is a risk it may not go ahead until sorted so it will always be worth checking. I’ve had up to 50 pages missing in recent months. How relevant it is depends on what is missing.

Also, write down two examples per activity of where you have struggled to complete activities reliably. Have that with you to prompt you if needed. These ought to have been in your claim pack. If they are then refer back to that and add detail. If not then this is your chance. 

Don’t rehearse set answers or examples. The two most important things you need to do in any appeal hearing are to not talk across anyone at all no matter how angry you are and to listen to the question and only answer that question. The number of people who blow their own appeals by waiting for the first opportunity to talk and then just talking at the panel about “everything” never ceases to astonish. 

Equally, as regards interruption/talking across. Just don’t. If there is a guaranteed way to blow an appeal then that’s it. Have some paper and a pen (or an iPad and Apple Pencil) and make notes on things you want to come back on. At the end you will be giving the opportunity to say anything else and that’s your moment to deal with any outstanding stuff. 

Finally, don’t dwell on the HCP report at all if you can help it. Tribunals know all about the quality issues and if arguments about the HCP report are all you have then in most cases that means you don’t have much of a case. You don’t need to labour it. As @chiarieds says, 2 examples of obvious errors is more than enough. Bear in mind that have to be irrefutable. Throw in anything which might be debatable and you’re throwing yourself to the lions. Remember that one of the panel members is a medical professional. There is no better way to lose the sympathy of a medical professional than to **** off a fellow medical professional. 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,099

Scope community team

I'm glad the above advice has been useful @TEACUPTERRIER :) Please do let us know how you get on. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • happyfellahappyfella Member Posts: 114 Courageous
    edited February 1
    You appear to be on the wrong thread. 
Sign in or join us to comment.