Does anyone know what I can expect at a pip tribunal over the phone? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone know what I can expect at a pip tribunal over the phone?

TEACUPTERRIER
TEACUPTERRIER Community member Posts: 44 Connected
I have a date in February for my pip tribunal hearing. I'm just trying to find out what to expect as I want to be as prepared as possible and I'm going to be having a lot of anxiety that day. Has anyone had a phone tribunal hearing? 

Comments

• bananagirl480
    bananagirl480 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    hi i had a pip tribunal on friday over the phone and it was ok i suffer with mental heath i found it to b alot easier than i thought the judge will interduce themselfs and let u no who else is there they will take it turns to ask u questions the best advice i can give is take your time and if you dont understand ask them to break it down for u. good luck
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @TEACUPTERRIER hi, yes my son had one and I heard it al as it was on loudspeaker.
    first of all a guy rang to say be ready for a phone call in the next few minutes explaining to wait for all three persons on the panel to introduce themselves. . 
    There was the judge, a doctor and a person who knows about disability.
    they were all really nice. They did not rush. Asked normal questions did not try and catch him out. He, my son was just completely honest. We went to tribunal because the assessor had lied on the paperwork about how the face to face went and my son did not get awarded anything. 
    Try to calm your anxiety , I know that is easy to say but just chat with them like you would a friend, you will be surprised.
    the answer came in the post two days later and he was awarded standard. Good luckx

• TEACUPTERRIER
    Thanks everyone I feel a little better about it. I already have all my notes ready and I'm glad it will be over the phone so at least i won't be judged on my looks-(once had a doctor say I looked too healthy because of my rosy cheeks. I have rosacea!) anyway thanks for the advice. The snack and drink is a good idea so hopefully things will go OK ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
     Hi @TEACUPTERRIER - a lot of our members have had a phone tribunal. It's difficult to advise what questions will be asked, as it all depends on how your disability affects you., which is an individual response. It will primarily be about any activities of daily living, &/mobility that you have identified as problematic in relation to the PIP activities/descriptors. Try & give a couple of detailed real life examples of the difficulties you faced at the time of your assessment if you hadn't already done so in your claim form. It's worthwhile reading what you have already written, to see where you should have got points & why.
    Don't waste time going over the assessor's report unless there are one or 2 provable 'inaccuracies.' The strength of your own anecdotal evidence matters much more. Do ask them to repeat any questions if needed, or say if you don't understand anything. Do take a little time before replying. You can have somebody else there for support, & could put your phone onto speakerphone.
    You will usually be contacted before the hearing, & do be aware such hearings can be a bit earlier, or later, depending on how the panel are getting through the day's hearings, so be prepared just in case.
  • TEACUPTERRIER
    Thanks everyone. At least now I have an idea of what to focus on. This was all really helpful advice
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad the above advice has been useful @TEACUPTERRIER :) Please do let us know how you get on. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    edited February 2021

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.