Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
I have a chronic progressive illness. Can I claim ESA if I leave work on grounds of ill health?
Hi I have a chronic progressive illness and I have been off work for the last year. Initially I was shielding but when shielding first ended I had to supply sick notes to my employer as I cannot manage work at the moment and I’m not sure if I will be able to in the future. I am on half pay which is ending in 2 months and even though I will still be classed as employed I will not get any pay. My question is would it be better for me to agree to finish on ill health grounds and if so would I be able to claim ESA. I don’t have a works pension but I worry that if I leave stating il health I wouldn’t get ESA.
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 752 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.