PIP and long COVID queries — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and long COVID queries

itspersonal
itspersonal Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have two questions, one relates to me personally and one I just thought of while reading posts here.

One:
Is it possible at all to claim PIP for long Covid? I know it’s not about the condition but the effect of it BUT I notice one of the criteria is that it’s expected to last at least 9 months. No one has any idea how long my symptoms will last so even I have no idea. I hope it doesn’t but it’s been since May already. 

I can’t walk more than a few steps without being breathless and my chest hurting. I have terrible fatigue and now can’t help but sleep 12-15 hours a day. I’ve lost 6 stone in weight because I’m struggling with eating and preparing food. I’ve fallen asleep in the bath countless times, I can’t stand long enough to shower. I’ve developed all over body pain which the doctor said is likely to be myalgia. I have awful brain fog and lose track of what I’m doing constantly. The doctors have basically left me to it and said there’s nothing they can do but my partner has suddenly become my full time carer. 
Has anyone been successful in claiming PIP for long-Covid? I know it effects people differently etc so even if someone has no guarantee I’ll get it but I’m curious about the “expected to last 9 months” criteria, when no one knows how long this could possibly last. I was told a month or two to regain my strength and it’s been 3/4 of a year already. 

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry to hear how long it is taking you to recover 

As for PIP I haven't heard of anyone applying on this basis but that doesn't mean there are not people who have

I guess all you can do is try and see what the outcome is as you say it isnt the condition that counts but the effect that has on you . But yes there may be queries over how long it will affect you 

Keep us informed as would be interesting to know to advise others 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry to hear how long it is taking you to recover 

As for PIP I haven't heard of anyone applying on this basis but that doesn't mean there are not people who have

I guess all you can do is try and see what the outcome is as you say it isnt the condition that counts but the effect that has on you . But yes there may be queries over how long it will affect you 

Keep us informed as would be interesting to know to advise others 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @itspersonal - & welcome to this community from me as well. I'm sorry to read you are suffering from long- Covid & how much of an affect it has had upon you. I would think there is no harm in applying for PIP, & the process can take some time depending on the backlogs in your area, so it could potentially be some months before you would get a phone assessment anyway. Please do kindly let us know how you get on, thank you.  :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds there is a long covid funding in wales don't know if you have one in England 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure if there have yet been any successful claims for PIP for "long covid" but there would absolutely be no harm in trying, might be an idea to speak to a local welfare rights unit and get some help with the application.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    The problem of trying to predict how long a health impact is not unusual. Cancer patients having chemotherapy/radiotherapy etc often have no idea how long they will be be having treatment for. Often a case of treat, do more tests, review the response to the treatment, treat again with something else etc. Awards are still made but are likely to have shorter award periods because of the uncertainty about how the health impact may change.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I take onboard what has just been mentioned above, as Mike gives great advice, tho I might take issue with describing long Covid as a media construct, when NICE are obviously taking it seriously as I was looking at this earlier on. Please see: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG188    ....remembering NICE was mentioned not so long ago.

• woodbine
    Have to agree with @chiarieds about the use of the term "media construct", we've been there before and wrongly so with conditions that are now recognised as being very real and very serious.

• Lisatho11987777
    Long covid clinics have been set up
  • woodbine
    @lisathomas50 yes they have thanks for adding that valid point.

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine thank you  for that means alot 
  • itspersonal
    I realised I didn’t ask my second question but I can’t think of the words right now so will ask another time if that’s okay? It wasn’t relevant to this just a curiosity about something pip related.

Thank you all who have answered me so far. The mixed feelings probably shows how difficult it may be because no one knows or can give me answers about my condition. My gp is not supportive at all and is only issuing 2 week fit notes at a time as he believes I could change at any moment. 

I had hope he would be right to begin with but 8 months later I’m beginning to lose hope. 

But with no ... I can’t think of the word ... presinct (?? sorry that doesn’t feel right but the word is escaping me right now, like historical other cases) I think it will be a hard fight to get awarded pip or any financial support.

I like the idea of talking to an advice agency but do any offer advice by email? I’m hard of hearing and don’t do too well on the phone, thank you
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    itspersonal said:... I can’t think of the word ... presinct (?? 
    Possibly ‘precedent’.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • itspersonal
    calcotti said:
    itspersonal said:... I can’t think of the word ... presinct (?? 
    Possibly ‘precedent’.

That was the word I was trying to think of, thank you! 

Yes, I also think you’re thinking about the idea of setting a precedent. Nothing wrong with that. 
    Oops I didn’t mean me setting a precedent I’m more of a sheep than a leader, haha. I was wondering that because there isn’t a precedent it’s probably more unlikely that I would be successful.

I searched for some advice in my area and there were quite a few options. Does anyone know if any are more suited than others? 

There is:
    Welfare Rights
    SUCRC (unemployed and community resource centre, it says they do benefit advice)
    Citizens Advice
    Mind benefits advice 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @itspersonal The Advice Local website is a great web tool for finding free local independent advice.  If you enter your postcode and select 'Welfare benefits' from the drop-down list, you should be provided with a list of organisations.  Please keep us updated as I think it would help many people who browse our community, and perhaps don't post, who are in the same position.  Good luck :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • itspersonal
    @itspersonal The Advice Local website is a great web tool for finding free local independent advice.  If you enter your postcode and select 'Welfare benefits' from the drop-down list, you should be provided with a list of organisations.  Please keep us updated as I think it would help many people who browse our community, and perhaps don't post, who are in the same position.  Good luck :) 
    Thank you it has lots of the same I found. 

That sounds like you are perhaps in my area so I’d best not comment further. Entirely your choice. 

Do you have experience of any of them? I went on my council site to request help but the form kept messing up as the buttons are in the wrong place. It said it submitted but I don’t know who it goes to and it didn’t send the confirmation email it said it would. Have you used it before? It asked random questions that I didn’t feel relevant so I left a lot blank too
  • woodbine
    My choice would be "welfare rights"

• itspersonal
    woodbine said:
    My choice would be "welfare rights"
    Thank you, I think that is who I picked. 

They didn’t seem to have their own website. I had to apply on a gov website so not sure if I did that right. 

I did get an email to say I had applied for help with benefits but it doesn’t say how long it will take them to get back to me. So it could be 1 day or 100 days 

Hopefully that is right and it is welfare rights 
  • woodbine
    When I sort help with a very complicated benefits issue last year I emailed welfare rights and within 7 days somebody phoned me and he really knew his stuff and helped me get sorted.

• itspersonal
    Hopefully they will be able to help me or at least say if I should bother putting in a claim. Thank you for your help @woodbine

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.