Hi, my name is Nettle! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Nettle!

Nettle
Nettle Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi.....I have had lumbar spinal stenosis for many years and suffer terrible pain. Pain killers don’t seem to help. Use a wheelchair if going out as I can only stand or walk for small distances. I still manage to smile and have a laugh, so not morbid all the time! ?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Nettle :) I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. Have you been referred to a pain management clinic?

I hope that using your wheelchair helps you get out and about a bit more! And having a laugh is definitely really important. 

Please feel free to get stuck straight in with any discussions that catch your eye. The coffee lounge is a great place to get to know our members, and the list of recent discussions will show you what our members are talking about right now. You can also view all of the categories of discussion we host here on this page.

Give us a shout if you need any help navigating your way around the site!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome from me too 

I am wheelchair user as well due to being an amputee 

Hope to see you around 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nettle - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. I have the pain, but not a wheelchair, as my pain worsens if I sit. Great to see you have a positive attitude, which always helps. I look forward to seeing you around the forum. :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nettle and welcome ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Nettle
    Welcome to the community @Nettle :) I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. Have you been referred to a pain management clinic?

I hope that using your wheelchair helps you get out and about a bit more! And having a laugh is definitely really important. 

Please feel free to get stuck straight in with any discussions that catch your eye. The coffee lounge is a great place to get to know our members, and the list of recent discussions will show you what our members are talking about right now. You can also view all of the categories of discussion we host here on this page.

Give us a shout if you need any help navigating your way around the site!
    Hi Tori Scope lovely to hear from you. I have been to a pain clinic and 10 weeks at a pain management programme  which included physios and pschycologists. Mindfulness etc was part of that programme. I found it helpful and meeting others however, didn’t help with pain, I’ve been on many pain killers Tramadol, Dihydrocodiene etc and now Morphine & pregabalin. The Dr at the pain clinic told me I would only achieve about 40% relief. Unfortunately this hasn’t happened. Thankfully I receive relief when sitting .
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Nettle I did the pain management and it helped me I think with pain it depends on what level of pain you have it helped my pain 

I find sometimes lying flat on my tummy with my hands either side of my head as it seems to take the pressure off my back 

Doesn't work for every one though 
  • Nettle
    @lisathomas50  pleased you found pain management helpful. I think as I get almost instant relief when I sit down I am able to control the pain during this. It’s weird because I can go from standing or walking for a short time in excruciating pain to immediate relief if I sit, hence I use a wheelchair if going out. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Nettle maybe thats your way of managing  pain  i cant sit for long I have to sort of half sit with my feet up lol every ones pain is different but only thing in common in my opinion is it hurts  hope you find other ways to manage your pain 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.