format of the pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

format of the pip assessment

Options
Joe__F
Joe__F Community member Posts: 29 Connected
What kind of format does the pip assessment have? I've been looking at this website: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test

Will they basically go through these questions one by one and ask them to me?
Will it be more like they will just ask me more general questions about how I'm doing and I have to try and say the relevant things to answer the questions from the website?
 or will it be something different?

Is the points scoring system from that website the same point scoring system that they will use for me in the assessment?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Used correctly the benefits and work PIP assessment guide can be reasonably accurate but you have to be brutally honest with your answers.
    I think the assessors work on something like 60 questions but they might not need to ask everybody all of them, it's very difficult to answer some questions when the answer seems so negative after all most of us want to try our best to be as positive about ourselves as possible.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    woodbine said:... you have to be brutally honest with your answers....it’s very difficult to answer some questions when the answer seems so negative after all most of us want to try our best to be as positive about ourselves as possible.
    It is always sensible, in my opinion, to get help from someone else who knows you well, if that’s possible. People develop coping strategies and after a while they become their normal and they forget that what they are doing is not what most people would reasonably expect to have to do.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Joe__F, hello, after the initial introductions the assessor will question you about the PIP descriptors in relation to the answers you wrote in your application form.  And by listening yo you answers comparing them with the answers you submitted in your application form. After the questions you will be asked if there is anything you wish to add. Wait ten days or so then phone the DWP and request a copy of your assessment report and on receiving it you can work out what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter. Having the report allows you to go through the evidence and should you need to appeal you know where to get supporting evidence. In my case applied for a change of circumstances for daily living, as I drive a non adapted automatic car and use a boot scooter and a large class 3 scooter at home the assessor reported that fact on four of the descriptors stating that as I use the car and scooters it is clinically possible that I can prepare meals dress and wash and shower my self. So be careful what you say don’t be afraid of asking to repeat the questions.
  • Joe__F
    Options
     thank you to all of you for the information and advice it's been really helpful for me.

Some of my circumstances have changed quite a bit since I filled out my form in October, so I will need to answer some of the questions a bit differently to what I wrote down. I'm concerned that this might negatively affect my outcome. Should I try to tell them about this at the start of the call? has anybody else experienced this negatively affecting their outcome?
  • ASDIBS
    ASDIBS Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Options
    From my experience, the DWP only took the information from the healthcare professionals report and they appreared to completely disregard what had been written on the form. However saying that, the report was not a true reflection of what was said over the telephone. I may be worth ringing the DWP to ask but they may ask you to complete a new form.
  • Joe__F
    Options
     ok thanks for your advice

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.