If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers element

tdotmelty27tdotmelty27 Member Posts: 25 Listener
Hi i claim pip enhanced mobility and daily living i am on universal credit deemed lwcra. How do i go about getting carers element would the person need to live with me? How do i make the claim for it? Would it be taken off my universal credit and be sent to them or would it be a top up on my UC?


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,297 Disability Gamechanger

    Your career doesnt need to live with you but needs to care for you 35 hours a week 

    I think they have to apply not you but I'm not certain 
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 828 Pioneering
    edited February 10
    According to turn 2 us :

    “You can get this addition of £162.92 per month if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. You do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to get this element. “

    So it’s the carer that would need to apply I believe. 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 1,252 Pioneering
    You cannot get the carer element yourself if you are a single claimant. If you have a partner on your claim and they care for you then they are eligible for the carer element and it would be added to your joint claim if they declare that they care for you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.