Carers element — Scope | Disability forum

Carers element

tdotmelty27 Member Posts: 27 Connected
Hi i claim pip enhanced mobility and daily living i am on universal credit deemed lwcra. How do i go about getting carers element would the person need to live with me? How do i make the claim for it? Would it be taken off my universal credit and be sent to them or would it be a top up on my UC?


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,950 Disability Gamechanger

    Your career doesnt need to live with you but needs to care for you 35 hours a week 

    I think they have to apply not you but I'm not certain 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 3,128 Connected
    edited February 2021
    According to turn 2 us :

    “You can get this addition of £162.92 per month if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. You do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to get this element. “

    So it’s the carer that would need to apply I believe. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 5,801 Disability Gamechanger
    You cannot get the carer element yourself if you are a single claimant. If you have a partner on your claim and they care for you then they are eligible for the carer element and it would be added to your joint claim if they declare that they care for you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.