Returning to work after maternity leave — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Returning to work after maternity leave

hayleyb249
hayleyb249 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in Work and employment
Hi, just after some advice. I’m due to return to work after maternity on the 1st April. I’m unsure whether or not it will be beneficial for me to do so. I’m on a zero hour contract so won’t be guaranteed more than 16 hours which is what I’d need to work to get paid more than what UC would pay me. If I quit my job to look after my baby myself would UC still pay me or does it not work like that because I left voluntarily? I’ve just set up a new claim so waiting for that to go through. Also it’s SMP so if I did quit I wouldn’t have to pay it back. Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    edited February 2021
    Hello @hayleyb249 and welcome to the community. 
    It's difficult to give more detailed advice without a little more information (ideally whether you are on a single claim or joint claim and whether you receive help with housing costs). 

But a few notes:
    If you're only working 16 hours, with a child on your claim it's possible you would still be entitled to some Universal Credit, especially if you will also have childcare costs.

To answer your question though: if you are down on your claim as lead parent, you shouldn't have any work commitments until your youngest child is 3, so you can choose not to return to work and UC should still pay you.
    After your child turns one they can ask you to attend occasional meetings to discuss future plans for work, at age 2 they can ask you to think about ways they can support you to return to work and possibly look at things such as preparing your CV and once your child is 3, unless there's another reason you can't work, they'll may ask you to start looking for 16 hours a week employment. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @hayleyb249

Hope you're well and just wanted to wish you a warm welcome to the community :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Masuma12345678
    Masuma12345678 Posts: 50 Listener
    I hope you are well and just to wish you a warm welcome back to the community 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hayleyb249 :) How are you? Have you managed to take a look at the advice above? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.