EHCP - Challenging the decision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

EHCP - Challenging the decision

JoannaD
JoannaD Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in Education
Our son is in Year 6 with EHCP in place. During the review of EHCP we have been asked for our preference for secondary school. Unfortunately our L.A. Did not name our choice in the final plan and instead named another school. We are unhappy with that choice and as I understand we need to challenge that decision.
I have two part question to those whom perhaps been in this situation before:
- Do we decline the placement offered and then challenge the decision in Tribunal (Should we need to go that far), or should we accept the offer and ask
to be put on waiting list for our preferred school?
- What would be best way to argue the fact that the school proposed by the Council is not good enough based on their exam results? Our son is academically able and we have hope that he will study further. However the school offered by the council does only 3 core GCSES and the none core subjects do not match my sons interest at all. 
The school that we have chosen offers everything he needs to study further if he wishes to in the future. 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    A secondary school that only offers 3 core GCSE's that would surpise me.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• JoannaD
    JoannaD Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    woodbine said:
    A secondary school that only offers 3 core GCSE's that would surpise

I take these as 3 as English is same subject to me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I did 5 subjects at school comprising of, English, Maths, Science, Typing and Art.. OK I failed everything except typing but I wasn't diagnosed with AS 30 years ago so I didn't get the extra time allowance etc.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    woodbine said:
    A secondary school that only offers 3 core GCSE's that would surpise me.
    There’s more choice allowed these days. 

My sisters school only mandates Mathematics, English, and Science, the rest is free choice in terms of what GCSEs you want to study. 

Was the same when I attended the same school, although not fully dictated, we did have to choose a arts based subject and a humanities based subject. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.