How to prove mental health affects your life when first claiming PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to prove mental health affects your life when first claiming PIP

Options
Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2021 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hi I am asking the question as I am assisting someone in my community 

I want to help this person the best way I can as a physical disability is different 

When filling in the form  I know how to describe the affects of this person's mental health but need the best way of describing how it affects this person going out planning a journey and things like that please 

I am probably over thinking it and is probably similar to describing how a physical disability affects someone 

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    That suposed to say pip 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the solution might be not to over thinking it. You need to highlight the care and/or mobility issues the person has regardless of the problems they have i.e physical or mental health. link might help
    https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/wal/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/introduction-to-pip/can-i-claim-pip-for-mental-health/

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine thank you  thats fantastic  I was over thinking  it doesn't matter if its physical or mental health 

Thank you so much  that has realy helped ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine form done your advice was a tremendous  help  and it was quite easy once I stopped over thinking  

It was electronic  I learnt how to use zoom on the laptop so I can split the screen they can see me and see the form I am filling in  all went well 

Again thank you ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have changed the thread title for you @lisathomas50, it says PIP now :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    @lisathomas50

Hi I get pip purely for mental illness I have no physical disabilities just all mental illnesss . Of course every ones illnesses are  different and how my mental illness affects  my life might affect your Friend differently . But I can share my experiences as some one with mental illness who gets pips . When I filled out my pip form I was really ill I was in crisis at that time I did get help filling the form out . 

So for example say the getting ready and washing question for example . I struggle to get washed and dressed with out assistance and I need constantly reminding embarrassing to say my partner has to wash me most of the time and constantly encourage me to change my clothes again as it embarrasses me to say when I’m having a really bad few weeks hearing voices and seeing things I don’t think to get dressed or washed it’s not that I can’t physically do it my mental illness takes over and I’m just really distressed by what I’m seeing or hearing or my paranoid thoughts hope that example helps . 

Another example when it comes to preparing and cooking food my partner leaves me out a sandwich /or some buffet snacks foods when he’s goes to work or he makes me a salad and he will have to remind me to eat it Or I’ll just eat sweets . I won’t touch a oven As I’m scared to turn one on as I get so many paranoid thoughts rushing threw my head so I just explained every thing how I’m explaining it now to how each section effects me I would explain it and my partner wrote down what I was saying on the forms . My anxiety my ocd my ptsd And my pychosis stops me from completing every day normal tasks . I haven’t brushed my hair in like a month it’s gone all tangled again I won’t even let my partner brush it . It’s embarrassing for me to say but I hope it helps others with mental illness who are filling out pip forms or people with mental illness in general . I would advise your friend to get some to write down how each question relates to her/his life I have given a few examples based on my life hope that helps .

also I sent off care plans from the crisis team they had care plans that documented how my illness affects me . 

Also my partner took time to write how my mental illnesses effects my day to day living using all the pip discriptors . I think if you have some one who knows you well write bout how your disability effects you I think that helps also to send off .  I hope this all helps . 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @cupcake88 thank you that helps alot 
  • lpea
    lpea Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Options
    cupcake88 said:
    @lisathomas50

Hi I get pip purely for mental illness I have no physical disabilities just all mental illnesss . Of course every ones illnesses are  different and how my mental illness affects  my life might affect your Friend differently . But I can share my experiences as some one with mental illness who gets pips . When I filled out my pip form I was really ill I was in crisis at that time I did get help filling the form out . 

So for example say the getting ready and washing question for example . I struggle to get washed and dressed with out assistance and I need constantly reminding embarrassing to say my partner has to wash me most of the time and constantly encourage me to change my clothes again as it embarrasses me to say when I’m having a really bad few weeks hearing voices and seeing things I don’t think to get dressed or washed it’s not that I can’t physically do it my mental illness takes over and I’m just really distressed by what I’m seeing or hearing or my paranoid thoughts hope that example helps . 

Another example when it comes to preparing and cooking food my partner leaves me out a sandwich /or some buffet snacks foods when he’s goes to work or he makes me a salad and he will have to remind me to eat it Or I’ll just eat sweets . I won’t touch a oven As I’m scared to turn one on as I get so many paranoid thoughts rushing threw my head so I just explained every thing how I’m explaining it now to how each section effects me I would explain it and my partner wrote down what I was saying on the forms . My anxiety my ocd my ptsd And my pychosis stops me from completing every day normal tasks . I haven’t brushed my hair in like a month it’s gone all tangled again I won’t even let my partner brush it . It’s embarrassing for me to say but I hope it helps others with mental illness who are filling out pip forms or people with mental illness in general . I would advise your friend to get some to write down how each question relates to her/his life I have given a few examples based on my life hope that helps .

also I sent off care plans from the crisis team they had care plans that documented how my illness affects me . 

Also my partner took time to write how my mental illnesses effects my day to day living using all the pip discriptors . I think if you have some one who knows you well write bout how your disability effects you I think that helps also to send off .  I hope this all helps . 
    Hi i feel I am in a similar situation to you. Can you please tell me whether you had an assessment, what form it was in and how long it took to get it?
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I did find it hard filling in the form for my anxiety and depression.
    I could easily provide examples of what happened when I went out, what happened when I mixed with people and the problems with daily tasks.

The question about preparing and eating food, bathing and dressing were harder as the answer to all of these was I mostly don't do these things...so I couldn't give examples of happened when I attempted them.
    I spoke about lack of motivation, anxiety,  zero appetite etc. But couldn't provide any info as to what happened when I attempted these...I just wouldn't, couldn't.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    lpea said:

Hi i feel I am in a similar situation to you. Can you please tell me whether you had an assessment, what form it was in and how long it took to get it?

Most people have either telephone or face to face assessments. Paper based assessments are still rare. I see from another thread of yours that you did apply for PIP in the past but you were refused. Timescales from stating your claim to having a decision is about 10 months because backlogs are huge.
    What you really should do is get some expert advice before applying again because if you apply again using the same evidence you previously used then a refusal is likely. For expert advice, start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.