PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Filling in PIP application as an appointee

mumfiemumfie Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my son turned 16 just before Christmas and I am his appointee. I'm about to complete his PIP application form but can't see guidance on how to phrase my responses - i was going to do it in the third person so... "J is unable to dress himself ....." is this right? He had a lifetime award on DLA so haven't needed to fill forms out since he was 5.

Many thanks

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,210 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I'm not sure it matters as long as it is clear that you are referring to the claimant.  I think there is somewhere on the form asking if you are filling it in on behalf of someone 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,775 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @mumfie and welcome to scope glad you found us and hope you stick around and join in.
    I'm not 100% sure but it would make sense to me to do it in the 3rd person a look at the descriptors might help before filling out the form
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,989 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no right way to do this. Fill it in using the language you’re the most comfortable with. The key thing to remember is that if you do go dish the 3rd lets in route then everything you say will be assertion and given little weight from the off unless backed up with at least two detailed anecdotal examples per points scoring activity. 

“He cannot do x” is an assertion and thus not evidence.

”He cannot do x because he is physically restricted by y and when he last tried to do this a is what happened. This occurred in c way at d venue on e date age was witnessed by person f. G is what happened next and that’s why he can’t do x.” is evidence.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,989 Disability Gamechanger
    Apologies for auto correct issues. 

It should read “... if you do choose the 3rd person route”.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,033

Scope community team

Welcome to the community @mumfie :) Has the above advice been useful? Let us know if you have any further questions. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.