Online learning — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online learning

Options
coylygirl
coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
There are so many free courses out there covering a wide range of subjects.  In lockdown I have completed Level 2 in Advice and Guidance and Mental Health Awareness.  My next plan, when I am well is a maths course to brush up on my rusty skills.  Most courses are free and there are loads of organisations out there.  I used the Skills Nework, but as I say there are many more,  Gives a focus in lockdown.  

So come on, learn a new skill.  You never know, you might enjoy it   :)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I have done 2 diplomas criminology  and criminal psychology online and will be looking for something else once I'm not doing home schooling with my son 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,672 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Online learning is a really good tool. I’m studying A levels as I had to drop out of college - I’m doing economics at the moment and plan to do philosophy again next. 
  • coylygirl
    Options
    Wow, the criminology and criminology psychology sound fascinating janer1967.  Were these with a goal in mind of purely for interest.  I would like to study Forensic Linguistics but need to be well.  Well done on the A levels 66Mustang, I found my A levels really tough (tougher than the first year of uni) so keep plugging away.  Well done both  :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No goal in mind just an interest of mine 

They did lots of forensic courses too I did them through elearn college . They weren't free but £39 each on special offer 
  • coylygirl
    Options
    I think it's always better to go for something that interests you.  My degree was in Linguistics and I loved it, no career in mind.  That doesn't sound too expensive and it it's something you love ....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Last year during the first lockdown I did 2 courses on ShawAcademy.com in digital photography and Scratch coding, I passed both courses and achieved Diplomas, however it was expensive at £50 a month after the 28 day free trial, and it took Dad and I several phone calls to cancel the payment each month after I'd completed both courses.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,672 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Paying monthly actually sounds like a good incentive to get on with it and complete it quickly! I had to pay for my A levels, all in one go, was quite a few hundred pounds (courtesy of a grandparent) and I get a whole 2 years to complete the course. I’m taking my time but if I was paying by the month I’d probably do it quicker haha.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.