Sleep Issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sleep Issues

MarkM88
MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
edited February 2021 in Coffee lounge
Does anyone have any hints or tips?

Over the last few weeks I've increasingly found it hard to get off to sleep. 

I'm not particularly keen to approach the GP for medication. 

I wondered if anyone had any hints or tips or anything else I could try?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

I also have trouble the remedies seem to change . I know there is a thread with tips about this just dint know where it is maybe admin can point you to it 

If I haven't fell asleep within an hour I get up and have a hot drink and listen to music 

You can get apps as well 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I have had sleep problems  I try to have a relaxing bath a milky drink and read my kindle in bed 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkN88 there are a lot of things to try, there are apps with soft sounds like whale noises and falling rain and the sea. Personally I turn all social media plat forms off, I watch something on iPlayer that's a little boring. Also if I have a busy day it tires me out so can sleep better. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Alexa has a load of sleep apps if you have one of those.
    Does away with having to look at a screen which is supposed to be bad for you but horses for courses I suppose .
    Google sleep hygiene too....lots of advice there, (nowt to do with dirty sheets lol)

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    I have had more sleep problems than usual due to lockdown and lack of exercise. Luckily I meditate every day and so can slow down my metabolism and thinking at night if I need too. It’s something I avoid doing because meditation isn’t supposed to be a nap and I don’t want to learn to associate it with sleep but nevertheless I do use it sparingly. 
    How to meditate guide https://www.lionsroar.com/category/how-to/

There are also relaxation techniques which will also lower heart rate etc, one favourite i used years ago is to imagine a soft ball of warm sunlight on your toes, then feet, then ankles, calf muscles, knees etc all the way up your body into your hands and arms until you reach the neck and then the ball spreads up into your head radiating warmth and light. This process should take a few minutes and not be rushed for the best results...which is total relaxation. After a while you should fall asleep ...no refunds! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Whenever i have had issues with sleep i have usually involved my GP a couple of weeks of medical help can get you back into a good rhythm, if its just the odd night I'll get up have a hot drink and a couple of cigs that always helps me.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkN88 :) I can see you've already been given lots of useful tips here! I'd definitely second all of the notes about sleep hygiene, muscle relaxation, and not using a screen before bed. 

I think this is the thread Janer1967 was referring to. It has some tips in the post, and the comments too. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • MarkM88
    Thanks everyone and thanks for the link. 
  • Ibelive2020
    Ibelive2020 Community member Posts: 799 Pioneering
    I have had sleep insomnia now for bout 20 years i alsó refused meds off the dóc 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @MarkN88. Is that the kind of thing you were looking for? I know from personal experience that getting your sleep sorted out can be a real challenge, but making small changes can make a big difference. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • MarkM88
    @Tori_Scope yes that link and the comments were good to read. I’ll definitely be implementing some changes to see how it goes. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.