Hi, my name is david400! I'm losing my job due to ill health. What benefits could I claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is david400! I'm losing my job due to ill health. What benefits could I claim?

david400 Member Posts: 7 Listener
Help please
I am losing my job due to ill health.
My employer is saying that I can't work on reduced hours.
Can you please help with the benefits I could claim.



  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 9,644 Scope online community team
    edited February 2021
    Hello and welcome to the community @david400 :) How are you? 

    I'm sorry to hear that you're losing your job to ill health. Has your employer looked into ways to keep you in work? Dismissal should be a last resort, as outlined on the gov.uk website:
    Considering dismissing an employee

    Dismissal is a last resort and you should consider as many ways as possible to help the employee back to work, including:
    • getting a medical report from their GP with the employee’s permission - they have the right to see the report before you do
    • arranging an occupational health assessment
    If the employee cannot do their job because there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made, it may be fair for you to dismiss them, even if they’re disabled.

    In terms of what benefits you could claim, you can use a benefits calculator to work out what you might be entitled to. Have you ever tried one before? 

    Just to let you know, I've renamed your post and moved it into a different category so that other members can find it more easily.

    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,454 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    I suggest you go and see your gp and get fit note stating either you are fit for work on reduced hours or get singed off sick 

    You then get Ssp fir 28 weeks and any company sick pay if they pay this 

    Then go through a medical dismissal if appropriate ask to see the company policy on this 

    Once sap has run put you can possibly claim new style esa dependant on your ni contributions and if still unfit supply fit notes so you can be assessed for your fitness for work which could pay more 

    As above do benefits calculator as you can enter all details 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,378 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have have ill health and give your employer a Fit Note from your GP they should pay you Statutory Sick Pay for up to 28 weeks. Or have you already had that? 

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,378 Disability Gamechanger
    Possible relevant benefits will be
    • new style ESA (depending on NI record and not eligible while entitled to SSP
    • Universal Credit depending on household income and excluded if savings over £16,000. Applying for UC will end any means tested benefits you currently get including Tax Credits
    • Personal Independence Payment if your health conditions limit your ability to carry out prescribed activities
    Benefit calculators will help you workout what you might get. If claiming on grounds of ill health you will have to have an assessment to determine eligibility for relevant awards.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,487 Scope online community team
    Hello @david400

    Sorry to read you are losing your job due to your health, I would definitely have a read of what Tori has suggested as there may be ways for you to stay in your current job should you want to. 

    I also hope that the replies from other members have been helpful for you. 

    Scope is writing a new advice page aimed at people in a situation like yourself, if you want to contribute towards it and offer your experience, you can find out more info here.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 4,804 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @david400 sorry to read about your work  have you got a union repersentive, they are very useful in these situations, have you been referred to your work o c health for assessment, if you put sick notes in this should start that off, your employer should put reasonable adjustments In. A useful link below.
    https://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/when-is-it-permissible-for-an-employer-to-terminate-the-contract-of-an-employee-on-the-grounds-of-ill-health/19976/#:~:text=An employer that dismisses an,of the Equality Act 2010.
    Let us know how things go 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.