Hi, my name is david400! I'm losing my job due to ill health. What benefits could I claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is david400! I'm losing my job due to ill health. What benefits could I claim?

Options
david400
david400 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Help please
I am losing my job due to ill health.
My employer is saying that I can't work on reduced hours.
Can you please help with the benefits I could claim.
Thankyou

Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @david400 :) How are you? 

I'm sorry to hear that you're losing your job to ill health. Has your employer looked into ways to keep you in work? Dismissal should be a last resort, as outlined on the gov.uk website:
    Considering dismissing an employee

Dismissal is a last resort and you should consider as many ways as possible to help the employee back to work, including:
    • getting a medical report from their GP with the employee’s permission - they have the right to see the report before you do
    • arranging an occupational health assessment
    If the employee cannot do their job because there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made, it may be fair for you to dismiss them, even if they’re disabled.

In terms of what benefits you could claim, you can use a benefits calculator to work out what you might be entitled to. Have you ever tried one before? 

Just to let you know, I've renamed your post and moved it into a different category so that other members can find it more easily.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

I suggest you go and see your gp and get fit note stating either you are fit for work on reduced hours or get singed off sick 

You then get Ssp fir 28 weeks and any company sick pay if they pay this 

Then go through a medical dismissal if appropriate ask to see the company policy on this 

Once sap has run put you can possibly claim new style esa dependant on your ni contributions and if still unfit supply fit notes so you can be assessed for your fitness for work which could pay more 

As above do benefits calculator as you can enter all details 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you have have ill health and give your employer a Fit Note from your GP they should pay you Statutory Sick Pay for up to 28 weeks. Or have you already had that? 
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/getting-money-when-youre-off-work-sick/

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Possible relevant benefits will be
    • new style ESA (depending on NI record and not eligible while entitled to SSP
    • Universal Credit depending on household income and excluded if savings over £16,000. Applying for UC will end any means tested benefits you currently get including Tax Credits
    • Personal Independence Payment if your health conditions limit your ability to carry out prescribed activities
    Benefit calculators will help you workout what you might get. If claiming on grounds of ill health you will have to have an assessment to determine eligibility for relevant awards.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @david400

Sorry to read you are losing your job due to your health, I would definitely have a read of what Tori has suggested as there may be ways for you to stay in your current job should you want to. 

I also hope that the replies from other members have been helpful for you. 

Scope is writing a new advice page aimed at people in a situation like yourself, if you want to contribute towards it and offer your experience, you can find out more info here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,861 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @david400 sorry to read about your work  have you got a union repersentive, they are very useful in these situations, have you been referred to your work o c health for assessment, if you put sick notes in this should start that off, your employer should put reasonable adjustments In. A useful link below.
    https://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/when-is-it-permissible-for-an-employer-to-terminate-the-contract-of-an-employee-on-the-grounds-of-ill-health/19976/#:~:text=An employer that dismisses an,of the Equality Act 2010.
    Let us know how things go 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.