Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.

ESA Permitted Work

Hello, after reducing my hours at work last year I've been receiving new style esa permitted work (contribution based) and its now ended.

I have decided to go on the sick now as my job is affecting my health still.  I'll hopefully get ssp.  When my ssp runs out do I need to claim esa again or won't I be entitled to claim?

Hope you can help. Thank you

Replies

• calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 975 Pioneering
    Unless you are excluded by savings over £16,000 or other household income you maybe able to claim Universal Credit while receiving SSP. Report your health problem when you claim and provide details of your Fit Note.

However claiming UC will end any other means tested benefits you already get such as a Tax Credits or Housing Benefit. If you are claiming of these do not apply for UC without doing a benefits check and/or getting benefits advice for your circumstances.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cub09Cub09 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Calcotti, thanks for your reply. I'm already on UC and have been for a while.  They just deduct my earnings from my entitlement.  I don't have savings. 

Its so confusing, UC also deducted my esa permitted work from my entitlement too as I wasn't placed in any group because there have been no f2f appointments.. 
    ESA will always be deducted from UC. Claiming ESA means you get fortnightly payments and Class 1 NI credits (rather than Class 3) but claiming both ESA and UC does not increase your overall benefit income. 

As your ESA is ending I infer that you currently only have LCW. If your health has deteriorated report the change to UC and ask for another WCA to see if you can be found to have LCWRA which would increase your UC entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cub09Cub09 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited February 25
    You've made it much clearer Calcotti, thank you.

Is it possible to try to claim esa while I'm getting ssp or do I now have to wait until my ssp ends? 
    edited February 25
    Cub09 said: Is it possible to try to claim esa while I'm getting ssp or do I now have to wait until my ssp ends? 
    One of the conditions of ESA entitlement is that you are not entitled to SSP so you cannot receive ESA while being entitled to SSP. Towards the end of your SSP entitlement your employer should issue the SSP1 form which confirms the date your SSP entitlement will end. You can at that point make the ESA application but ESA payment will only commence (assuming you meet the NI conditions) from the day after SSP ends.
Sign in or join us to comment.