ESA Permitted Work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Permitted Work

Cub09
Cub09 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hello, after reducing my hours at work last year I've been receiving new style esa permitted work (contribution based) and its now ended.

I have decided to go on the sick now as my job is affecting my health still.  I'll hopefully get ssp.  When my ssp runs out do I need to claim esa again or won't I be entitled to claim?

Hope you can help. Thank you

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you are excluded by savings over £16,000 or other household income you maybe able to claim Universal Credit while receiving SSP. Report your health problem when you claim and provide details of your Fit Note.

However claiming UC will end any other means tested benefits you already get such as a Tax Credits or Housing Benefit. If you are claiming of these do not apply for UC without doing a benefits check and/or getting benefits advice for your circumstances.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cub09
    Hi Calcotti, thanks for your reply. I'm already on UC and have been for a while.  They just deduct my earnings from my entitlement.  I don't have savings. 

Its so confusing, UC also deducted my esa permitted work from my entitlement too as I wasn't placed in any group because there have been no f2f appointments.. 
  • calcotti
    ESA will always be deducted from UC. Claiming ESA means you get fortnightly payments and Class 1 NI credits (rather than Class 3) but claiming both ESA and UC does not increase your overall benefit income. 

As your ESA is ending I infer that you currently only have LCW. If your health has deteriorated report the change to UC and ask for another WCA to see if you can be found to have LCWRA which would increase your UC entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cub09
    edited February 2021
    You've made it much clearer Calcotti, thank you.

Is it possible to try to claim esa while I'm getting ssp or do I now have to wait until my ssp ends? 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    Cub09 said: Is it possible to try to claim esa while I'm getting ssp or do I now have to wait until my ssp ends? 
    One of the conditions of ESA entitlement is that you are not entitled to SSP so you cannot receive ESA while being entitled to SSP. Towards the end of your SSP entitlement your employer should issue the SSP1 form which confirms the date your SSP entitlement will end. You can at that point make the ESA application but ESA payment will only commence (assuming you meet the NI conditions) from the day after SSP ends.
  • Cub09
    edited June 2021
    Hi again, sorry to be a nuisance.. My esa ended and I just carried on getting UC. I have been on limited work hours since going on UC a few years ago and struggling with rheumatoid arthritis and anxiety and they have never pushed me to 'up' my hours, even though I don't have kids under 3 years old.

Does this mean I have always had lcw?  I find it confusing as I've never had anything in writing about lcw.

I filled in and returned a work capability form in October last year (while I was on esa contribution based and uc) and had the phone assessment in November. The health advisory service then wrote to me saying they didn't have enough information so would need a f2f.  Obviously with covid I knew it would be a long wait.

When my esa ended I went sick from work Feb this year and I handed in fit notes to uc since then.  This week I got a uc50 form through the post saying "because its been a while since you sent a similar form back you need to fill this one in".  Is this normal procedure?  Will I have to wait even longer now for the assessment?

Sorry for the essay ? 

• calcotti
    Cub09 said:
    Hi again, sorry to be a nuisance.. My esa ended and I just carried on getting UC. I have been on limited work hours since going on UC a few years ago and struggling with rheumatoid arthritis and anxiety and they have never pushed me to 'up' my hours, even though I don't have kids under 3 years old.

Does this mean I have always had lcw?  I find it confusing as I've never had anything in writing about lcw.

I filled in and returned a work capability form in October last year (while I was on esa contribution based and uc) and had the phone assessment in November. The health advisory service then wrote to me saying they didn't have enough information so would need a f2f.  Obviously with covid I knew it would be a long wait.

When my esa ended I went sick from work Feb this year and I handed in fit notes to uc since then.  This week I got a uc50 form through the post saying "because its been a while since you sent a similar form back you need to fill this one in".  Is this normal procedure?  Will I have to wait even longer now for the assessment?

Sorry for the essay ? 
    I would say it's unusual given that you haven't yet had an assessment from the previous one. I think I would remind them through your journal that you are still waiting for an assessment based on the last form sent in and can they confirm that they still intend to make a determination about you LCW/LCWRA status at that time.
  • Cub09
    Thank you for replying, you're such a star.
    They already know I've been waiting for the f2f. I reminded them last week.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    It is a bit bizarre then - whether it works to your advantage or disadvantage may depend on whether you health has improved or got worse in the intervening period. i suggest that when filling out the new form treat is as if they know nothing and be as comprehensive as you can and supply any new medical evidence that you have.

As regards your query about whether you had LCW, the fact is that if you have never been assessed your status is not yet determined. You have simply been paid the ESA assessment rate for a year. If you are found to have LCWRA you should be put in the ESA Support Group and ESA payments reinstated. You will be due a large ESA arrears payment and all your UC payments will have to be recalculated. However you need to be assessed first, so one step at a time.

As a matter of interest do you have any children on your UC claim or a partner with LCW or LCWRA?
  • Cub09
    I'll do that, thank you.

I just feel they're messing me around and I don't deserve it.

Yes my daughter is on my claim until she leaves 6th form this year. No partner. Been a single mum for over 12 years.
  • calcotti
    Cub09 said: Yes my daughter is on my claim until she leaves 6th form this year. No partner. Been a single mum for over 12 years.
    OK, that means you already have a Work Allowance included in your UC calculation so one less change to take into account if you are found to have LCW or LCWRA
  • Cub09
    I have always had the work allowance yes.

Am I being assessed for esa support group or universal credit lcw/lcwra?  I'm not sure my work coach even knows.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2021
    Cub09 said:
    I have always had the work allowance yes.

Am I being assessed for esa support group or universal credit lcw/lcwra?  I'm not sure my work coach even knows.
    As you are claiming both ESA and UC the one assessment outcome will apply to both benefits. The process will be led by UC.
  • Cub09
    Hi, just a quick update.. After waiting for my face to face assessment they sent me a letter with an appointment for.... ....yet another phone assessment lol. Blimey they do confuse people ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Cub09 said:
    Hi, just a quick update.. After waiting for my face to face assessment they sent me a letter with an appointment for.... ....yet another phone assessment lol. Blimey they do confuse people ?
    Thanks for the update, yes sounds very confusing indeed. I hope it goes well.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.