PIP scored 0! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP scored 0!

MiamiWeasel
MiamiWeasel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, 

im 21 with very bad arthritis in my arms and knees which I take steroids for. 
I have severe anxiety and depression. 
Some days I am taking up to 12 pills in medication. 
For the past 2yrs I’ve constantly had someone cooking for me, helping me in bath, taking me everywhere as I cannot lift anything or bend down. 

My PIP assessment was over the phone. I wasn’t asked once about my arthritis even though that was my main issue. It was all about my anxiety, normally my partner does every phone call for me but they insisted he wasn’t allowed and I was forced to speak to them. 

PIP assessor gave me 0 everywhere and said yes I have issues but because I could “articulate my issues well” I’m not disabled enough. 

We appealed but I’m furious! I just want to say fine, find me a job where I don’t use my arms, legs, or interact with people since I’ll have a panic attack!! Now Universal Credit are giving me a health phone call to see if I’m fit for work and mentally I can’t even be bothered if I get the same ridiculous lie of a result. This has made me seriously depressed. 

Comments

• anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
    Hi, sorry to hear about that. I can understand how you must be feeling. I had my assessment on 24th feb and the assessor has given me zero points for everything too! It’s really crazy. I’d happily be willing to PAY someone the highest amount of money that PIP can get you if that means that in return I’m fully cured and am able to work a normal job! I wouldn’t want to beg someone else for money. But sadly these people really treat you as if you’re trying to steal their money! 
    I know it’s easier said than done and I myself am questioning whether I want to go through the process of appeal but don’t give up! We all need to fight for ourselves! 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MiamiWeasel

Sorry your claim wasnt successful and I totally understand your frustration but dont give up and fight the decision if you feel you can 
  • ASDIBS
    ASDIBS Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    My son is in the same situation. He previously scored high rate care low rate mobility and his newest assessment scored 0 even though we made it clear that his situation had worsened. The assessor wrote that my son has a good memory but failed to put that he was asking me for all of the information. The assessor also failed to put that she actually spoke to me on more than one occasion because my son could not answer the questions. We asked for MR and got nowhere so we are now at appeal stage. Keep fighting.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MiamiWeasel

Sorry to read that this has angered you so much, it's understandable though that it has. As others have said, if you believe you should be entitled then please fight for it :) 

It's a shame that this has impacted your mental health, I hope you have coping techniques in place for rough moments like this one, and fingers crossed you feel better soon. If you want to speak to a friendly voice you can always give our helpline a call to discuss things through.

Also in relation to this comment:

"For the past 2yrs I’ve constantly had someone cooking for me, helping me in bath, taking me everywhere as I cannot lift anything or bend down. "

Is that somebody a care worker or a friend / family member? Just wondering if you have all the support in place that you might need.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • nicoleleex
    nicoleleex Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I'm in the Same situation got awarded 0 points and I have arthritis in my back, slipped disc, complex trauma disorder , and systemic mastsitosis im in bed for days at a time, physically cant move it's a joke will need to apeal it 
  • Lee84
    Lee84 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am in the same situation. My son got diagnosed with autism aged 12 after a very long assessment period. He had cams, a support worker etc but when he got his diagnosed everything stopped including his dla. We have appealed and reapplied on numerous occasions, he is now 17 and still they are still giving him 0 points and the bit they put in at the end is lies. Things that were never said or completely twisted it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Lee84 said:
    I am in the same situation. My son got diagnosed with autism aged 12 after a very long assessment period. He had cams, a support worker etc but when he got his diagnosed everything stopped including his dla. We have appealed and reapplied on numerous occasions, he is now 17 and still they are still giving him 0 points and the bit they put in at the end is lies. Things that were never said or completely twisted it.

When a child is under 16 it's DLA. Once they reach 16 it's then PIP but they are 2 completely different benefits, with totally different criteria.
    When you say you've appealed the decision, are you saying you took it all the way to Tribunal?
    To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used will likely see a constant refusal.
    Expert advice is needed here to check if he qualifies. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.