Hi I'm Claire, looking for housing advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi I'm Claire, looking for housing advice

Claire_mcallister21 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I am looking for so advice and hopefully some support, we are currently in the middle of moving house to an adapted property for my disability, the house that we have had to accept after waiting 5 months for a property to become available for me has no carpets or flooring at all, and currently has no cooker either, the house wasn't in the best condition either, all we have been offered in decoration vouchers of £250 which is not even allowed to be used on carpets, due to my disability my husband is now my carer so we have no extra money to be able to get carpets etc, is there any financial support that you can provide at all, or possibly lead us in the right direction to help please, we move in on the 14th March and I am concerned about it all, I also have a 3 year old son so I really feel that flooring of any kind is very necessary when living in a house 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,311 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    Unfortunately this us usually the case with social housing all you get is the shell . 

    Depending on what benefits you claim you may be able to get a loan through DWP but will have to be paid back 

    Maybe contact cab to see if they know if any grant . You can often get cheap off cuts from carpet places . Prioritise and do most important rooms first 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,398 Scope online community team
    Hello @Claire_mcallister21

    Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

    I hope you are able to find suitable advice for your issue, I just wanted to let you know that I have moved your discussion to our housing category.

    Again, a very warm welcome, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Hi  You should contact your council every council are different. I moved last year and got a grant off them for removal costs, they also gave white goods. And I could’ve got carpets if needed.

    I just want to wish you well with the move and hope you receive some help.
  • Claire_mcallister21
    Claire_mcallister21 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yeah i am having a phone call with the council tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed we will get somewhere, so hard as due to my disability the house has the facilities I need so that's why we excepted it but thinking that they would provide carpets to be told that's upto us, think its crazy really especially when your moving that a special reason 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Just write everything down you want to ask about.
    Help with white goods and carpets, and help with removal costs.
    And mention the discretionary fund.
    Al keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Lets know how you get on.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,706 Disability Gamechanger
    Have a good look at websites like "freebie" and "gumtree" where you can often pick up household stuff for free or very cheap.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • Claire_mcallister21
    Claire_mcallister21 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yeah I used gumtree and marketplace, I have managed to get a cooker for free just need an electrion to fit it then just the carpets now, and I will ask about moving costs as well, thank-you for all you help and support, can I ask what the discretionary fund is please 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Hi it’s a fund each council has and you can apply for help with different things. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 4,646 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Claire_mcallister21 also look on Freecycle sites too in your area, hopefully you get things sorted with council tomorrow.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,706 Disability Gamechanger
    sorry I meant to say "freegle" in my post not freebie, dammed spell checkers !
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • 0898
    0898 Member Posts: 15 Connected
    ive been packed up for 3years and the council have blocked 2 moves and are trying to move me to a tower block with 1 bedroom they have been causing problems every time i find a new move so people are backing out out of the swaps 
    i have a extra large washing machine that I use daily and they told me to sell it i bought a shower but they wouldn't install it and ive had my new cooker in my living room and they wouldn't get me help to install it 
    my advice is to make lists of everything you need room by room and make copies of them and write to the housing people and ask for them to only contract you by email or post so you have proof of everything that happens and check out the local  charities there are a list on gov.uk also there is a site called in your area and it's useful and free  keep trying as i found community repaint and decorated my 2bed home for under £30 and freecycle is amazing try every one and anyone and hopefully your new home will be comfortable and you will get help eventually good luck in luck withyour search  


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.