Hi I'm Claire, looking for housing advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm Claire, looking for housing advice

Options
Claire_mcallister21
Claire_mcallister21 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am looking for so advice and hopefully some support, we are currently in the middle of moving house to an adapted property for my disability, the house that we have had to accept after waiting 5 months for a property to become available for me has no carpets or flooring at all, and currently has no cooker either, the house wasn't in the best condition either, all we have been offered in decoration vouchers of £250 which is not even allowed to be used on carpets, due to my disability my husband is now my carer so we have no extra money to be able to get carpets etc, is there any financial support that you can provide at all, or possibly lead us in the right direction to help please, we move in on the 14th March and I am concerned about it all, I also have a 3 year old son so I really feel that flooring of any kind is very necessary when living in a house 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Unfortunately this us usually the case with social housing all you get is the shell . 

Depending on what benefits you claim you may be able to get a loan through DWP but will have to be paid back 

Maybe contact cab to see if they know if any grant . You can often get cheap off cuts from carpet places . Prioritise and do most important rooms first 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Claire_mcallister21

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

I hope you are able to find suitable advice for your issue, I just wanted to let you know that I have moved your discussion to our housing category.

Again, a very warm welcome, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,177 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi  You should contact your council every council are different. I moved last year and got a grant off them for removal costs, they also gave white goods. And I could’ve got carpets if needed.

I just want to wish you well with the move and hope you receive some help.
  • Claire_mcallister21
    Options
    Yeah i am having a phone call with the council tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed we will get somewhere, so hard as due to my disability the house has the facilities I need so that's why we excepted it but thinking that they would provide carpets to be told that's upto us, think its crazy really especially when your moving that a special reason 
  • Lou67
    Options
    Just write everything down you want to ask about.
    Help with white goods and carpets, and help with removal costs.
    And mention the discretionary fund.
    Al keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Lets know how you get on.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have a good look at websites like "freebie" and "gumtree" where you can often pick up household stuff for free or very cheap.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Claire_mcallister21
    Options
    Yeah I used gumtree and marketplace, I have managed to get a cooker for free just need an electrion to fit it then just the carpets now, and I will ask about moving costs as well, thank-you for all you help and support, can I ask what the discretionary fund is please 
  • Lou67
    Options
    Hi it’s a fund each council has and you can apply for help with different things. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,972 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Claire_mcallister21 also look on Freecycle sites too in your area, hopefully you get things sorted with council tomorrow.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    sorry I meant to say "freegle" in my post not freebie, dammed spell checkers !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

0898 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    ive been packed up for 3years and the council have blocked 2 moves and are trying to move me to a tower block with 1 bedroom they have been causing problems every time i find a new move so people are backing out out of the swaps 
    i have a extra large washing machine that I use daily and they told me to sell it i bought a shower but they wouldn't install it and ive had my new cooker in my living room and they wouldn't get me help to install it 
    my advice is to make lists of everything you need room by room and make copies of them and write to the housing people and ask for them to only contract you by email or post so you have proof of everything that happens and check out the local  charities there are a list on gov.uk also there is a site called in your area and it's useful and free  keep trying as i found community repaint and decorated my 2bed home for under £30 and freecycle is amazing try every one and anyone and hopefully your new home will be comfortable and you will get help eventually good luck in luck withyour search  

Brightness