PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Claiming pip while on UC

JimmyboyJimmyboy Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello I'm in the process of claiming pip due to mental/emotional problems, if I get accepted will I have to cancel my universal credit as I currently claim UC.

If so what other benefits will I be able to claim alongside pip as I don't think pip alone will be enough to live on. Thank you. 

Replies

• MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,309 Pioneering
    They are totally separate and you can continue to claim UC if you are awarded PIP. 
  • JimmyboyJimmyboy Member Posts: 4 Listener
    MarkN88 said:
    They are totally separate and you can continue to claim UC if you are awarded PIP. 
    Thanks for reply, I thought UC means I'm eligible for work but I'm not anymore due to my current problems, can I still claim  UC or will I have to cancel I'm worried about fraud. Thanks you 
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Thanks for reply, I thought UC means I'm eligible for work but I'm not anymore due to my current problems, can I still claim  UC or will I have to cancel I'm worried about fraud. Thanks you 
    Have you informed UC that you have a health condition and provided a sick note? This will allow you to be put forward for a work capability assessment. 
    MarkN88 said:
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Have you informed UC that you have a health condition and provided a sick note? This will allow you to be put forward for a work capability assessment. 
    Hello no I haven't informed the UC yet, do you know how I will be able to that, i haven't made my pip claim just yet, waiting on them to post the form. Thanks
  • Sheree_8Sheree_8 Member Posts: 47 Listener
    Hi Have PIP and have been awarded UC, they are aware that I am shielding and have a Disability which limits me to what work I can do, and that I can only work part time. 
    Sheree
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Hello no I haven't informed the UC yet, do you know how I will be able to that, i haven't made my pip claim just yet, waiting on them to post the form. Thanks
    There totally separate benefits and claims so don’t worry. 

You can work and still claim PIP. 

With you saying you have issues at the moment I would put a note on your journal to let them know and speak to your doctor for a fit note and UC will want to know you have been given one. 
    Okay thanks very much
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,250 Pioneering
    edited February 28
    Jimmyboy said:.. I thought UC means I'm eligible for work ..
    UC is for anyone on a low income, jobseekers, people with a health condition that limits their ability to work, parents, carers etc.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.