Claiming pip while on UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming pip while on UC

Jimmyboy
Jimmyboy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello I'm in the process of claiming pip due to mental/emotional problems, if I get accepted will I have to cancel my universal credit as I currently claim UC.

If so what other benefits will I be able to claim alongside pip as I don't think pip alone will be enough to live on. Thank you. 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    They are totally separate and you can continue to claim UC if you are awarded PIP. 
  • Jimmyboy
    MarkN88 said:
    They are totally separate and you can continue to claim UC if you are awarded PIP. 
    Thanks for reply, I thought UC means I'm eligible for work but I'm not anymore due to my current problems, can I still claim  UC or will I have to cancel I'm worried about fraud. Thanks you 
  • MarkM88
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Thanks for reply, I thought UC means I'm eligible for work but I'm not anymore due to my current problems, can I still claim  UC or will I have to cancel I'm worried about fraud. Thanks you 
    Have you informed UC that you have a health condition and provided a sick note? This will allow you to be put forward for a work capability assessment. 
  • Jimmyboy
    MarkN88 said:
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Have you informed UC that you have a health condition and provided a sick note? This will allow you to be put forward for a work capability assessment. 
    Hello no I haven't informed the UC yet, do you know how I will be able to that, i haven't made my pip claim just yet, waiting on them to post the form. Thanks
  • Sheree_8
    Sheree_8 Community member Posts: 80 Courageous
    Hi Have PIP and have been awarded UC, they are aware that I am shielding and have a Disability which limits me to what work I can do, and that I can only work part time. 
    Sheree
  • MarkM88
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Jimmyboy said:
    MarkN88 said:
    Hello no I haven't informed the UC yet, do you know how I will be able to that, i haven't made my pip claim just yet, waiting on them to post the form. Thanks
    There totally separate benefits and claims so don’t worry. 

You can work and still claim PIP. 

With you saying you have issues at the moment I would put a note on your journal to let them know and speak to your doctor for a fit note and UC will want to know you have been given one. 
  • Jimmyboy
    Okay thanks very much
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Jimmyboy said:.. I thought UC means I'm eligible for work ..
    UC is for anyone on a low income, jobseekers, people with a health condition that limits their ability to work, parents, carers etc.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.