PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi all. Just had my pip award stopped

Divad1Divad1 Member Posts: 18 Listener
edited February 28 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi all. Just had my pip award stopped! However I'm doing a mandatory consideration as I suffer with severe depression, I've also been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my neck, shoulders and arms with is really affecting me daily. I also have peripheral artery disease. These are now correct diagnoses for my illnesses as pip didn't have that info before. Does anyone think I may have a chance of getting it back? I will be grateful for any advice at this stage. 

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sorry you gave been refused PIP 

Unfortunately it isnt about a diagnosis but how you are affected on a daily basis against the descriptors 

For the mr you need to go through each descriptor you think you should score points and give real life examples of what happens when you try do the task 

The success rate of mr isnt high so you then have the option of tribunal 

Let us know how you get on 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,187

Scope community team

Hello @Divad1

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

It's not for me to say whether you will have a solid chance of winning the reconsideration or not, but I of course hope you do. With PIP, it's not about having a diagnosis, I would ensure that you have anecdotal evidence to go along with the descriptors. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • Divad1Divad1 Member Posts: 18 Listener
    Hi Ross thank you for your reply. I'm just waiting on doctors letters atm. It's all taking a long time. I'm very stressed right now as I'm actually in worse health than I was before. Plus they have totally ignored my mental health issues. It's so frustrating

Scope community team

Divad1 said:
    Hi Ross thank you for your reply. I'm just waiting on doctors letters atm. It's all taking a long time. I'm very stressed right now as I'm actually in worse health than I was before. Plus they have totally ignored my mental health issues. It's so frustrating
    I hope the letters are ready to collect soon, the pandemic certainly hasn't helped speed this sort of thing up which is understandable. I totally get why you are so frustrated though, it can be a very stressful time.

Are you going to include information about your mental health as part of your MR?

Janer1967 thank you for your response. I will have to go all the way then if I don't get it. It's really getting me down. 
    Yes I am Ross. I'm waiting on a needs assessment then my psychiatrist is going to do a report. I just don't have much time left. The pressure is unbearable atm

Scope community team

Divad1 said:
    Yes I am Ross. I'm waiting on a needs assessment then my psychiatrist is going to do a report. I just don't have much time left. The pressure is unbearable atm
    Please try your best to relax, I appreciate these things can take time but you will get there in the end :) Do you know when the needs assessment is?

No not yet Ross. Its the not knowing that's getting to me plus I only have 3 weeks to get it sent off. I've already asked for an extension

Scope community team

Okay, well hopefully it happens soon for you. Glad you have requested the extension, I imagine the additional time will benefit you.

• woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,522 Disability Gamechanger
    From CAB:

If you've missed the 1 month deadline

It's still worth asking for a mandatory reconsideration, as long as it's within 13 months of the decision.

You'll need to explain your reasons for being late - for example if being ill or dealing with difficult personal circumstances meant you couldn't apply in time. Use your form or letter to explain why your application is late, as well as why you disagree with their decision.

The DWP can refuse your application if it's late, but as long as you applied within 13 months of the date on your decision letter you can still appeal their decision at a tribunal.

"Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • dynasty30dynasty30 Member Posts: 74 Courageous
    I can never understand why the grant you an award and then take it away,I certainly understand why you are stressed and frustrated my heart goes out to you.
    PAD is hard enough considering it’s a progressive illness outlooks can be bleak not like there is a cure that’s so darn unfair 
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 956 Pioneering
    Was it the end of the current award did you have a review I’m guessing ? As I didn’t think pip just stoped awards without reviews . Sorry this has happened please appeal and don’t give up I know how stressful it must be but there are so many people on the forum who have taken it to appeal and won 
    Thank you cupcake88. It wasn't a review. I had a heart attack last year and now have angina, I just wanted to add on the extra condition but had to fill in the whole form again! Since then I have had other illnesses diagnosed. I am so down about my life right now. I'm speaking to cab later but I really don't feel hopeful. Pip have completely ignored my mental health and the problems I have which is now worse. I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm really struggling financially
    @dynasty30 thank you it really is unfair to go from 11 points to zero and the money is gone but same bills are there. I'm crying every day now and can't have a normal conversation without bursting into tears. They really shouldn't mess about with ppls mental health. I feel so close to the edge.. 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,059

Scope community team

edited March 1
    Hi @Divad1

I'm sorry you're feeling this way and I completely understand, the PIP process can take a big emotional toll.  If you need advice with filling in your MR form, you can always contact Scope's friendly helpline team on 0808 800 3333 and their opening hours are: Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 6pm.  Likewise, the Advice Local website is good for accessing free independent support local to where you live.

I also wondered if you'd used Scope's benefits calculator to double-check that you weren't missing out on any benefits you were entitled to?  Make sure to give it a go, if you haven't already :)

In relation to your low mood and tearfulness, are you seeing a mental health worker regularly?  if this is something you'd rather not discuss on the main board, feel free to email us at [email protected]  Otherwise, if you feel talking to someone about your emotions would help, make sure to call your GP or contact: 
    If your thoughts begin to concern you and your welfare might be in danger, call 999 and ask for an ambulance immediately too.

Finally, this Scope webpage discusses more about challenging PIP decisions, so it might be useful to give it a quick gander when you next have a warm cuppa tea  :) 

Please let us know how you get on, and we are always here should you need someone to talk to.  Good luck. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Thank you. I'm in touch with mental health team but I don't think I'm getting enough support @Cher_Scope I'm speaking with welfare benefits shortly and waiting on doctors letter but it's all taking so long... 
    @Cher_Scope I also didn't know there is an Mr form to fill in? I have told pip on phone that I want a mandatory reconsideration but they haven't sent me a form. I'm quite confused with the whole process.. 

Scope community team

@Divad1 I'm glad to hear you're getting enough support :)  And apologies if I've confused you by mentioning a form.  That is just one way of requesting an MR, alongside phone and letter.  It's good that you have someone from welfare benefits to help you out and I hope it won't be too long a process for you now.  Good luck.  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Divad1 said:
    @dynasty30 thank you it really is unfair to go from 11 points to zero and the money is gone but same bills are there. I'm crying every day now and can't have a normal conversation without bursting into tears. They really shouldn't mess about with ppls mental health. I feel so close to the edge.. 
    That I can totally understand I’d be absolutely devastated if they had done that too me.
    you certainly need to stay strong and see this through,as your entitlement should stand,don’t give up,hopefully CAB will be off some help.
    please stay in touch and let us know how it’s all going as I’m sure we’d all like to support you 
    Hi dynasty 30 I've just spoken to cab and they have advised me to make a fresh claim because I have 3 new diagnosis and pip are only dealing with past illnesses. I just don't know how I'm going to manage in the meantime... 
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,235 Pioneering
    Divad1 said:
    @Cher_Scope I also didn't know there is an Mr form to fill in? I have told pip on phone that I want a mandatory reconsideration but they haven't sent me a form. I'm quite confused with the whole process.. 
    There is a form you can use for an MR if you want but there is no requirement to use it.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    Divad1 said:
    Hi dynasty 30 I've just spoken to cab and they have advised me to make a fresh claim because I have 3 new diagnosis and pip are only dealing with past illnesses. I just don't know how I'm going to manage in the meantime... 
    Are these three new conditions you reported on the last form as a change of circumstances? If so I cannot see the logic of starting a new claim, you have already asked them to reassess you taking into account the impact of these illnesses (along with previous ones).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    @Divad1

Think seriously b4 making a new claim as you will only be paid if awarded from start of new claim and it isnt about diagnosis 

If you appeal this claim and win you will get backdated money yo when your payments stopped 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,637 Disability Gamechanger
    dynasty30 said:
    I can never understand why the grant you an award and then take it away,I certainly understand why you are stressed and frustrated my heart goes out to you.
    PAD is hard enough considering it’s a progressive illness outlooks can be bleak not like there is a cure that’s so darn unfair 
    Mostly because 

- people think they’ve given the same info. but haven’t.
    - different DMs are allowed to come to different conclusions based on the same evidence provided it’s within a reasonable range of responses. Much like we’d all look at the same things and have a different view.
    Janer1967 I'm really frustrated because what you say makes sense but I don't know if I can cope with doing 2 sets of paperwork. It's literally brain damage. But I do get you and thanks. Its sooooo stressful... 
    @calcotti no they weren't on previous form. The symptoms were but they hadn't been diagnosed. So really they are new conditions I suppose. The cab advised me to start a new claim based on new conditions. I hope I'm making sense because it is all very confusing to me.. 
    edited March 1
    PIP is not based on diagnosis. It is based on how you are affected by health problems. Getting a diagnosis doesn’t change the impact. If the way your health impacts you remains the same as when you reported the change of circumstances it may be more appropriate to do an MR. You can include the fact that you have now been diagnosed with specific conditions as additional information but a diagnosis does not trigger PIP points.
    Yes I understand that it's not the diagnosis, but I need to let them know what the conditions are and also how my mental health is affected. They completely ignored my anxiety and depression, in fact I felt intimidated on the telephone assessment
    calcotti said:
    PIP is not based on diagnosis. It is based on how you are affected by health problems. Getting a diagnosis doesn’t change the impact. If the way your health impacts you remains the same as when you reported the change of circumstances it may be more appropriate to do an MR. You can include the fact that you have now been diagnosed with specific conditions as additional information but a diagnosis does not trigger PIP points.
    That is correct the rules are changing for Scotland it will be based on the illness and the diagnosis. And it will be mainly based on what the professional bodies say about the claimants circumstances this is due to the fact too many people are being put through a rather degrading assessment jut to prove they are disabled in some form 
    Hi all I have decided to go ahead and do the mr along with a fresh claim. I left so much out and need to fill in the blanks. I just don't know how I'm going to cope in the meantime.. 
    Glad to hear you’re getting welfare rights advice.I hope they explain the implications of doing a new claim alongside an MR. 

To start with, the new claim will mean you cannot get an ongoing award of PIP out of your MR. The moment you lodge a new claim any award on your MR has to end the date before the day of your new claim. 

Then we have the issue of whether it’s wise for you to make a new claim. Has any assessment been made of whether your deterioration would lead to extra points? As has been amply rehearsed above, a new diagnosis is not relevant unless it comes with new symptoms and those new symptoms limit your functionality to the extent you would score more points. If there are definitely new points to be gained right now then that’s one of the limited sets of circumstances a new claim alongside an MR has obvious merit. If there are no more points to be gained then it’s arguably better to just do the MR. 

Finally, it’s worth bearing in mind that if you’re doing the claim then you need to immediately ask yourself what you’re going to do differently and why. Presenting the claim in the same way with the same evidence generally produces the same outcome and that’s clearly not what you want. 

Lots of advice services routinely advise people to make a new claim. It’s perceived as a quick win. A shortcut to getting someone back on benefit. Unfortunately it’s just as likely you end up with 2 MRs/appeals. 

Scope community team

Divad1 said:
    Hi all I have decided to go ahead and do the mr along with a fresh claim. I left so much out and need to fill in the blanks. I just don't know how I'm going to cope in the meantime.. 
    I hope this goes well for you. Please take note of the resources Cher provided further up this page if you need further support, and try your best to take it easy and give your mind a break from it all, it can get quite confusing and stressful. Take care

@mikehughescq oh my goodness! This is  a real dilemma! What should I do continue with MR.stop it and just make a new claim? I don't know what to do for the best none of this was explained to me... Agggghhh any advice please and thanks for your advice I'm so stressed every day now.. 
    If you’ve an adviser then go talk to them and work it through with them. We can’t know the full facts of your case here. I have simply laid out the considerations. No-one should be advising you to make a second claim though without a thorough understanding of likely entitlement and how straightforward or not that will be. 
    I agree. I will be speaking to an adviser in the morning. Thank you so much.. 

Scope community team

@Divad1 I'm just revisiting this thread and saw I misread your earlier post, where infact you said you didn't feel like you were receiving enough support with your mental health.  Apologies for that (it must have been a long day for my eyes!).  

Bearing this in mind, I'd advise to liaise with your mental health team/GP to make them aware of how you're currently feeling, emphasising any particular difficulties you might be going through.  While you could also use this NHS website to find an urgent mental health helpline if talking would alleviate some of your stress.

If you think that a social care needs assessment might be beneficial, then you can apply for this online at this government webpage.  Some of the services that might be offered as a result of this are:

• home care help with things like cleaning and shopping
    • disability equipment and adaptations to your home
    • day centres to give you or the person who cares for you a break
    • day care for your child
    • help with parenting, such as parenting classes
    • care homes
    To find a benefits advisor close to where you live, try visiting the Advice Local website.  Here you enter your postcode, then select 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down list to view a list of free independent organisations local to where you live.

Good luck and I hope you are doing okay today.  

Cher scope I actually had a mental health assessment today, looks like I will be getting a support worker at some point.. 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,039

Scope community team

That's good news @Divad1 :) Have you heard any more on that? How have you been? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.