Hi all. Just had my pip award stopped - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi all. Just had my pip award stopped

2»

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Divad1 said:
    @Cher_Scope I also didn't know there is an Mr form to fill in? I have told pip on phone that I want a mandatory reconsideration but they haven't sent me a form. I'm quite confused with the whole process.. 
    There is a form you can use for an MR if you want but there is no requirement to use it.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Divad1 said:
    Hi dynasty 30 I've just spoken to cab and they have advised me to make a fresh claim because I have 3 new diagnosis and pip are only dealing with past illnesses. I just don't know how I'm going to manage in the meantime... 
    Are these three new conditions you reported on the last form as a change of circumstances? If so I cannot see the logic of starting a new claim, you have already asked them to reassess you taking into account the impact of these illnesses (along with previous ones).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Divad1

Think seriously b4 making a new claim as you will only be paid if awarded from start of new claim and it isnt about diagnosis 

If you appeal this claim and win you will get backdated money yo when your payments stopped 
  • Divad1
    Divad1 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Janer1967 I'm really frustrated because what you say makes sense but I don't know if I can cope with doing 2 sets of paperwork. It's literally brain damage. But I do get you and thanks. Its sooooo stressful... 
  • Divad1
    @calcotti no they weren't on previous form. The symptoms were but they hadn't been diagnosed. So really they are new conditions I suppose. The cab advised me to start a new claim based on new conditions. I hope I'm making sense because it is all very confusing to me.. 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2021
    PIP is not based on diagnosis. It is based on how you are affected by health problems. Getting a diagnosis doesn’t change the impact. If the way your health impacts you remains the same as when you reported the change of circumstances it may be more appropriate to do an MR. You can include the fact that you have now been diagnosed with specific conditions as additional information but a diagnosis does not trigger PIP points.
  • Divad1
    Yes I understand that it's not the diagnosis, but I need to let them know what the conditions are and also how my mental health is affected. They completely ignored my anxiety and depression, in fact I felt intimidated on the telephone assessment
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    calcotti said:
    PIP is not based on diagnosis. It is based on how you are affected by health problems. Getting a diagnosis doesn’t change the impact. If the way your health impacts you remains the same as when you reported the change of circumstances it may be more appropriate to do an MR. You can include the fact that you have now been diagnosed with specific conditions as additional information but a diagnosis does not trigger PIP points.
    That is correct the rules are changing for Scotland it will be based on the illness and the diagnosis. And it will be mainly based on what the professional bodies say about the claimants circumstances this is due to the fact too many people are being put through a rather degrading assessment jut to prove they are disabled in some form 
  • Divad1
    Hi all I have decided to go ahead and do the mr along with a fresh claim. I left so much out and need to fill in the blanks. I just don't know how I'm going to cope in the meantime.. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Divad1 said:
    Hi all I have decided to go ahead and do the mr along with a fresh claim. I left so much out and need to fill in the blanks. I just don't know how I'm going to cope in the meantime.. 
    I hope this goes well for you. Please take note of the resources Cher provided further up this page if you need further support, and try your best to take it easy and give your mind a break from it all, it can get quite confusing and stressful. Take care
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Divad1
    @Username_removed oh my goodness! This is  a real dilemma! What should I do continue with MR.stop it and just make a new claim? I don't know what to do for the best none of this was explained to me... Agggghhh any advice please and thanks for your advice I'm so stressed every day now.. 
  • Divad1
    I agree. I will be speaking to an adviser in the morning. Thank you so much.. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Divad1 I'm just revisiting this thread and saw I misread your earlier post, where infact you said you didn't feel like you were receiving enough support with your mental health.  Apologies for that (it must have been a long day for my eyes!).  

Bearing this in mind, I'd advise to liaise with your mental health team/GP to make them aware of how you're currently feeling, emphasising any particular difficulties you might be going through.  While you could also use this NHS website to find an urgent mental health helpline if talking would alleviate some of your stress.

If you think that a social care needs assessment might be beneficial, then you can apply for this online at this government webpage.  Some of the services that might be offered as a result of this are:

• home care help with things like cleaning and shopping
    • disability equipment and adaptations to your home
    • day centres to give you or the person who cares for you a break
    • day care for your child
    • help with parenting, such as parenting classes
    • care homes
    To find a benefits advisor close to where you live, try visiting the Advice Local website.  Here you enter your postcode, then select 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down list to view a list of free independent organisations local to where you live.

Good luck and I hope you are doing okay today.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Divad1
    Cher scope I actually had a mental health assessment today, looks like I will be getting a support worker at some point.. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's good news @Divad1 :) Have you heard any more on that? How have you been? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.