Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Extension Advised, but how?

RhianjayneRhianjayne Member Posts: 2 Listener
Evening all,

I am unsure if anyone would be able to advise me.

My 21 year old wheelchair bound daughter still lives with myself and my other daughter (who has autism amongst other issues). Long story short, we had no choice but to move into our current home after moving 4 times in 3 years. However, it is by no means suitable at all for her. After having 3 separate OT’s out, they have all advised that an extension to our home for an extra bedroom, wet room and toilet is required as adaptions still wouldn’t be suitable. 

We live in a Housing Ass house and they have now advised that they will give planning permission providing the funds can be raised through grants (apparently they have no spare money). We cannot move again, as there is literally no suitable housing at all in our area. We cannot move away due to family support we already have here.

My question is, we already know we are eligible for a DFG, however, that wouldn’t cover the cost of an extension... who else can do grants for this? I’ve not heard of anything other than a DFG.

Thank you in advance! 


  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,990

    Scope community team

    Hello @Rhianjayne and welcome to our community.

    I'm sorry you've found yourself in this situation and can understand how stressful that would be.  Scope and Turn2Us have this Grants Checker which will bring up a list of any other grants you could apply for, after entering your postcode, gender and age.  Please let us know how you get on and good luck.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • RhianjayneRhianjayne Member Posts: 2 Listener

    thank you for your reply. I did come across one on there called Sullivan’s Heroes but it’s says for children? So I’m guessing my daughter will be out of the age range 🤔 I will contact them tomorrow to check though. 

    The Aid and Adaption team messaged me saying my daughter OT/Social Worker will be approaching our local council as well as HIA. What I’m concerned about is if a DFG only goes to £30,000 that won’t be enough to cover a bedroom and wet room surely? 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,990

    Scope community team

    Hi @Rhianjayne

    How did you get on with contacting Sullivan's Heroes?  Also, it might be worth exploring if a discretionary payment would be available from your local authority to top up any deficit you might face.  This Shelter webpage is a brilliant resource to read about Disabled Facilities Grants and in particular, it advises:

    Discretionary assistance for disabled facilities and adaptations
    From 18 July 2002, local authorities have a general power which enables them to give discretionary assistance, in any form (for example a grant or a loan), to cover the cost of adaptations or to help the disabled occupant to move to alternative living accommodation. There is no restriction on the amount of assistance that may be given and discretionary assistance may be paid in addition, or as an alternative to, a mandatory disabled facilities grant.
    Assistance can be given for a wide range of purposes. A local authority may, for example, consider giving assistance:
    • for minor adaptations intended to either satisfy needs which are not covered by disabled facilities grants or, where urgent adaptations are required, to provide a speedier remedy, which would not be obtained if the complicated procedures involved in the provision of disabled facilities grants were used
    • to supplement a disabled facilities grant because the works are very expensive, or because the applicant cannot afford the contributions, or where works that are not eligible for a disabled facilities grant are required
    • to assist the disabled person to move to a more suitable property where it is more cost effective than adapting the current home, even though the new property may need some adaptation
    Although its not guaranteed that your local authority would grant this, maybe it's something to explore?

    I have my fingers firmly crossed for you.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.