Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Work Problems

Ali1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2021 in Work and employment
Hi all

I'm new to here and was wondering if anyone could offer advice/tell me about their own experiences of the workplace. 

I have left sided Hemiplegia and have worked full time in admin my whole working life. I have been in my current job for 2 years, but have recently been informed that I'm too slow. Two work colleagues have complained about me to our manager, although, my other colleagues are more than supportive and don't have any issues with me.

I've tried to speed up, but I'm still not "there". It's work for a council and fast paced so maybe I'm in the wrong job, but they employed me with the understanding that I have a disability.

Where should I go from here? In terms of looking for another job, there's not much out there at the moment.

Thank you.



  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 54,277 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hi @Ali1 there's no need for you to leave, as you say you work for the council they will have disability discrimination policy s in place, as they employed you with full knowledge of yours. You heed to set a meeting with your line manager and you could put  a grievance in against those two colleagues. Also council should have a work support plan in place for you, where they put reasonable measures in for your needs. Councils are usually very good at supporting disabilities, regardless what colegues moan about, last thing you need to do is leave.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 54,277 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Also if your line manager listened to them then go above her or him, request a meeting. Get your union involved if you are a member, they will go to meetings with you. If you are feeling really low or down about it all go on the sick for work related stress they will ask if it's work related at council. That will also kick in meetings etc and maybe an appointment with OC health.  Trust me last thing a council wants, is to be accused of any work discrimination. 
    You leaving is the last thing you should do.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ali1

    Sorry to hear about this, it must be stressful. Have you previously discussed reasonable adjustments with your current employer?
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.